In this How-To, we will increase the security of your Windows XP computers (and any Vista, 7, or 8 computers as well) with a special tool Microsoft created, called the Microsoft EMET Tool.
- Check if you have version 4 of the .NET Framework installed.
- Open Control Panel, then open Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista or newer).
- If version 4 of the .NET Framework is installed, proceed to Step 3. If it is not, proceed to step 2.
- Install the .NET Framework.
- Download the Web installer from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851
- Launch the installer and proceed to step 3 when the installation is finished.
- Install the EMET tool.
- Download the EMET Tool installer from this page: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41138
- Launch the installer. Install it with the default settings.
- Once the EMET Configuration Wizard opens, select Use Recommended Settings and then click Finish.
- You will now see a gray box with a black lock symbol icon in your notification tray. Right-click on it and click on Open EMET.
Now that you have the EMET window open, there are several things you can configure. Under System Status, you can see different protections and how they are configured for use by applications.