Click here for important information about

Upgrade laptop USB 1.1 to USB 2.0

Dell / Pp01l
February 7, 2010 at 15:55:36
Specs: Windows XP
i have a dell 640 laptop with 1.1 usb how do i get 2.0

See More: Upgrade laptop USB 1.1 to USB 2.0

Report •

February 7, 2010 at 17:36:32
You cannot upgrade a laptop from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0,
because the USB controller is attached to the motherboard, and
not replaceable.

In short:
You cannot, if your computer only supports USB 1.1

Report •

February 7, 2010 at 17:47:50
USB 2.0 Device Driver Support
Some manufacturers now sell new PCs and laptops with support for USB 2.0 built in. If you want to add USB 2.0 to your computer, you must buy a USB 2.0 controller card and install it. For a desktop computer, this involves opening the case for access to your computer's PCI slots. For a laptop, you plug in the card whenever you want to connect a new Hi-Speed USB device. Most manufacturers provide installation and setup guides. Here is an example from Adaptec.

The Windows Catalog lists several USB 2.0 controller cards that are compatible with Windows XP.

Drivers for USB 2.0 devices in Windows XP became available on Windows Update in January and is also available through Microsoft Update. Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional are both fully USB 2.0-compliant with the correct drivers. Again, check the Windows Catalog before you buy a new USB 2.0 device to make sure it's compatible with Windows XP.

After you've installed your new USB 2.0 controller and devices, connect to the Internet and open Microsoft Update. Make sure that your new hardware is plugged in and operating (at least at low speed). If Windows XP recognizes your USB 2.0 hardware, it will offer you the chance to download the new USB 2.0 drivers. You can also manually download the driver by following the steps in Universal Serial Bus 2.0 Support in Windows XP.

Report •

Related Solutions

February 8, 2010 at 13:07:50
You can install a PCMCIA (pc card) to usb 2.0.

For example.

Playing to the angels
Les Paul (1915-2009)

Report •

Ask Question