Setting up columns for translations, English & German

September 28, 2012 at 19:36:30
Specs: Windows XP
I am working with columns. I want to type the English in the LEFT column and the translation (German, Spanish, etc) in the right column. I want to be able to go back and forth between the columns. On some lines, the German may take up more space and have more words than the English. Sometimes I need help with the translation, and may have to leave some lines blank which I seek the advice of my German teacher. Is there a special name for this type of columns? If it has a special name, I don't know it, and therefore can't search for it on line. How do I know when you answer appears, since I can't leave my email address? Thanks. Skippy

See More: Setting up columns for translations, English & German

Report •

September 28, 2012 at 23:07:30
You come back to the forum and check whether an answer has been entered. Also you need to tell us what programme you are using

Report •

September 29, 2012 at 07:09:16
Depending on how elaborate you want to get,
you could use Word or Excel to accomplish what you want.

In Word, you could use a Two Column Table.
Just insert a table and each side by side cell in the table should
automatically adjust to the length of your sentence.

In Excel, you could use two columns, formatted to Word Wrap,
with a cell width of about 50 or 60,
this will also give you a row number that links both translations.

There are also software packages that will do what you want,
try a search on "Parallel Text" and you should get a few hits.


Report •

September 29, 2012 at 07:16:39
Hello, Thanks. I will try this. I have used WORD before, but don't have much experience with EXCEL.

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question