|I am actually getting a similar "error". The error does not have a name in OE. I'm running OE on XP.|
I am running a Pop3 for 1 email account and an Imap server for another. My ISP is Charter but my email is through Mailtrust. Both accounts are experiencing the exact same trouble sending, but can receive mail perfectly.
I have sent and received email with virtually no trouble for close to 2 years via this exact same setup. I can currently receive email with no problem, but when I try to send, the green progress bar gets to 99% and then the error pops up:
"Some errors occurred while processing the requested task. Please review the list of errors below for more details."
But then no details or specific errors or listed.
The wierd thing is..the emails are actually sending, but they are not moving from the Outbox to the sent folder. And if I keep clicking Send and Receive, they get sent multiple times.
I have seen a lot of other threads that suggested deleting the Outbox folder as so:
"Your Outbox may be corrupt.
Try deleting it, and a new one will be created autonatically next time you use OE.
To delete it, open Windows Explorer, make sure hidden files are turned on, then navigate to...
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\
Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\
BIG LONG MUMBER\Microsoft\Outlook Express
Delete the file OUTBOX.DBX"
But when I get to my User Name folder...there is no "Local Settings" folder to be found. Nor can I find "Outbox.dbx" by searching for files and folders in C:
I'm at a major loss and this is my small business laptop.