|I have searched dozens of forums for a solution and tried a TON of |
troubleshooting on this. This is forum seems to have the most helpful users so
I'm hoping to get some fresh ideas. Thanks in advance for any advice.
My system came installed with XP MCE 2005 when I bought it in 2006. When
vista came out, I installed it but it seemed to have some driver issues. The
main driver issue was with the Optical Drive, it is the HP DVD 740. I decided
to wipe the HDD and go back to XP. I formatted the drive and now I can't get
the OS to install.
I have tried to install with the original XP recovery discs, Vista disc that had
successfully installed before, and another XP disc that works in other
Basically, the process starts copying files over and then I can hear the drive
start to slow down and it will hang on a file, usually the Kernell DLL but
sometimes it will get past that and hang on another one.
Here are some of the solutions and tests I have run through:
-I have run through every test on the Ultimate Boot CD including a full zero
write format and diagnostic of my HDD (tested OK) and CPU stress test
- Replaced RAM with a new module and removed both old ones
- Reseated and checked CPU, it didn't look fried but I can't really tell
- unplugged about every connection on MOBO and plugged them back in
- Removed all unnecessary hardware (modem, sound card, peripherals,
- I have let it run overnight to check if it starts back up but it doesn't
- I have cleared the CMOS
- I haven't tried flashing the BIOS simply because I can't figure out how. I
have a ASUS P5LP-LE motherboard but it is only supported on the HP
website, ASUS doesn't offer updates for it. The problem is HP only gives an
.exe file to run from inside windows. I can't figure out how to get that .exe to
run without an OS.
I am completely stumped, I can't figure out what else to try or any more
search terms to try and bring up new results. I would appreciate any help or
feedback, especially if it involves not having to buy a new MOBO or CPU!