Solved how can I restore my computer to a previous restore point pr

December 23, 2013 at 22:45:24
Specs: Windows XP
how can I restore my computer to a previous restore point prior to being infected by the mypcbackup virus.

See More: how can I restore my computer to a previous restore point pr

Report •

December 23, 2013 at 23:56:53
✔ Best Answer
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

But that is very likely not going to clear the infection anyway because SR only restores the Windows system files and it's rarely those files which are infected. Plus, the restore points themselves may be infected too.

The only sure-fire way of eradicating infections is to restore from a clean disk-image or perform a Factory Recovery (but back up your data first).

When you've got rid of the infection you then need to install some decent online protection software such as Comodo Internet Security which I use. I've never had an infection of any kind whilst I've had Comodo installed.

Whatever you're using now is evidently no good or your PC wouldn't have become infected.

message edited by phil22

Report •

December 24, 2013 at 01:07:26
I think a complete reinstall is a bit overkill - with the recent instances I've seen of MyPCBackup they aren't classed as a virus, it's an unwanted piece of software so it does actually uninstall fairly cleanly, leaving only a MyPCBackup folder in Program Files with a data file in it and a couple of links. As long as it is listed in 'Add/Remove' then use that option, followed by Malwarebytes, simply because it probably isn't the only rubbish you have on the machine, and finally CCleaner to remove any remaining links and registry entries & to check the start-up pointers have gone.

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us..." Pink Floyd

Report •

December 24, 2013 at 13:34:08
It should be OK to use restore points that you are certain were created before this happened.

Invalid files in system areas, such as viruses, are removed.

Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

message edited by Derek

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question