|You might try this:|
1. Completely un-install any HP 1220 software that may have been installed (HP has a habit of installing a bunch of stuff with its printers).
2. Un-install any software left over from previous printers that you no longer have/use, especially HP printers.
3. Delete any HP 1220c icons left over in your Printers folder.
5. Disconnect your other printer (the one that works) and plug the HP1220c into its USB port. (It shouldn't make any difference, but I've seen countless times when a USB device refused to work when connected to certain ports).
6. Unless you need all the other goodies that come with the HP "suite" for this printer, install only the driver. They are both available from HP Drivers and Downloads. The full package (with all the extra stuff) is dj1074en.exe (11.1MB) and the driver only package is dj1075en.exe (1.6MB).