Delay opening URLs

July 9, 2010 at 14:34:36
Specs: WinXP HomeEd SP3, Pentium 4/1 GB
I am using IE8 on WinXP SP3. When I click a URL for the first time in a day, many take 10 seconds before they open. If I open them again soon after, there is little delay. This started about a month ago. It does not happen when I use my FireFox browser. I am using MS Security Essentials and free Zone Alarm. I am fully defragged and show no viruses, spyware, etc. when scanning with 3 different apps.

See More: Delay opening URLs

Report •


#1
July 9, 2010 at 15:13:00
Might be worth checking your IE add-ons - you could temporarily disable all of them to see if that helps. It's Tools > Manage Add-ons > Select All Add-ons (note any that are already disabled).

If this helps then bring them back a few at a time to find out if any particular one is causing the delay.


Google is NOT the only Search Engine!


Report •

#2
July 10, 2010 at 16:57:11
Thanks for the idea. I will try disabling each, then testing.
This is one of the things that MS's Reset Internet Explorer Settings does. I will probably run that app if this doesn't solve it.

Report •

#3
July 10, 2010 at 23:53:38
I tried Disabling each group of Add Ons with no results, then Disabling all of them. Still no improvement.

Report •

Related Solutions

#4
July 11, 2010 at 18:47:50
Did you try resetting IE?


Google is NOT the only Search Engine!


Report •

#5
July 12, 2010 at 15:31:01
That was next on my list of things to try! I have now Re-set
to Default. It seems to have helped if I R click and click Open, but if I click Open in New Tab its still slow. I still have to try enabling the Add-Ons again and see how things go.
Thanks again for your help.

Report •

#6
July 12, 2010 at 16:32:25
Thx for the update.


Google is NOT the only Search Engine!


Report •

#7
July 12, 2010 at 20:24:49
Let's consider this one solved!

Report •

#8
October 13, 2010 at 23:22:58
Nothing really solved this problem until the other day when I installed a new build of my current Version of my Free Zone Alarm. It then opened a window advising that it had found a new network and did I want to approve it. I checked my current IP with "IPconfig" and it was indeed the IP Free Zone Alarm questioned, so I approved it. Much to my surprise and pleasure, my months long "delay" problem was solved. No longer any IE/URL delays. My computer is now running speedily, as it used to!

Report •

#9
October 14, 2010 at 08:23:48
Thx for update, it will be useful for the forum.

Ms Hulot's boat


Report •


Ask Question