|Fixed it by doing the following:|
* Did a repair install to the original xp drive which fixed the hal which wasnt working properly as the drive BSOD'd when trying to boot on the onboard ide.
The following was done on the Promise ATA133tx2 ide controller card.
* Put the old cloned drive that kept reporting itself to be on the D1(secondary) when it should be D0(primary), on the secondary on the ide and set to slave.
* Reinstall the Maxtor Maxblast software otherwise cloning wont work. It wont see the original drive if youve done a repair install of xp on it. So reinstall Maxblast or upgrade to latest one.
* Complete the clone operation.
* After cloning is complete and you shutdown and put the cloned drive onto the primary plug on the ide, it now reports itself to be D0 (primary), remember to set the jumper to master.
Im glad it all finally works! I think the whole problem was caused by the corrupted hal on the original xp drive so cloning it would have messed something up onto the cloned drive.
Hope that helps someone. Cheers.