Can't make any changes/see system files on used notebook

January 17, 2012 at 10:58:18
Specs: Windows XP V2 SP3
My husband purchased a used HP notebook with Windows Xp. He brought it home and asked me to set it up. I can't make any changes to anything! All settings are locked as if it was previously a business computer or such. I can see users (only me who is listed as administrator), simple files such as documents, pictures. No system files except program files. I cannot delete or add programs. I can not change internet options, cannot change home screen or security setting. I do not have a system recovery option so that I can reset everything. I can only access the boot screen at startup. I'm lost and don't know what else to try. Is there some way to unlock this or reset it?

See More: Cant make any changes/see system files on used notebook

Report •

January 17, 2012 at 12:08:16
Look in Windows Disk Management to see if there are more than one partition on the hard drive.

What is the partition size as listed in My Computer?

Report •

January 17, 2012 at 12:13:26

personally, I think used computers should be formated and reinstalled with some operating system.


Report •

January 17, 2012 at 12:23:42
Shows 15gb used, 134gb free. Only shows C: drive. No backup, nothing.

Larry, thanks, I'm gonna go read that and see what I can find.

Report •

Related Solutions

January 17, 2012 at 12:29:26
Ok, I can start the computer in safe mode, no problem. BUT, I still can't make any changes. I can't change security settings, home pages, personalized settings, etc. I also still don't have any recovery option.

Report •

January 17, 2012 at 13:01:32
It appears you only have one partition on a 160GB hard drive. The actual space on a 160GB drive is approx. 149GB.

So, if you have no Windows install disks you need to work with what you have or buy a copy of Windows.

First, Do you have a My Computer icon on the desktop? If so, right click on it and choose Properties.

Post the information in the General and Computer name tabs?

Report •

Ask Question