|Thank you, Tufenuf.|
I read the article and it was enlightening but hopefully the problem is now resolved. I took the hard drive out and connected it to a "working" computer as a slave drive. Then I removed all the links to the AC97 downloaded file. I also removed the mup.sys file and a file named "last good config" or something like that. I reinstalled the disk drive into the emachine and prayed for the computer to boot. When I turned it on, I chose "Boot to Command prompt" and it restarted 2 times and then let me choose "normal" config and it is up and is running at this time.
Thanks for responding to my call for help!