|I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or a virus (I use Sophos for antivirus). I have a now 2yr old Studio XPS and starting last night, my keyboard will randomly begin producing characters different than those I type. |
1. Caps Lock seems to be inverted - if I turn on (backlit) Caps Lock the chars will be lowercase and visa-versa.
2. Most of the numbers will not work unless I use the Shift key - when I do use the Shift key, the output will always be the symbol regardless of the Caps Lock status.
3. Access to the Task Manager is difficult and usually takes persistence on my part. I'm not sure if it is a mis/malfunction of my Alt, Ctrl, or Delete.
4. While in a window, typing some chars will close the window or control random functions.
ICING: At the same time this happens, my mouse (touchpad and wireless) will also function strangely.
1. When I click on a link in Chrome the link will always open in a New Tab.
2. If I Right Click on the bottom to close a single window it will only give me the option to Close Group. The few times I have clicked w/o looking, the "group" will be indiscriminate of application type (e.g. Word and Chrome have closed together).
The problem seems to not persist immediately after a reboot. It will however return w/in a couple of hrs.
I spent a couple of hrs this morning in safe mode skimming over the usual suspects in the registry:
HKCU run & runonce etc
HKLM wow and such
no avail so hello
I was using my college's internet earlier today for about 4-5hrs and didn't experience any problems until I returned home. Could this be a result of a compromised WAN? or is that far fetched?
Is it possible for ASCII codes to occasionally become corrupted in BIOS until a reboot?
Plz don't tell me it is a bum keyboard bc I can't afford a new laptop.
Thx for reading my problem-in-book-form