|If you plug the flash drive into any computer then peer into it from "My Computer" it should contain the files now listed in my #31 below.|
When you boot with the flash drive it should become obvious in just a short while whether the test is starting. There will be a rather old style looking menu, from which you select the short or long scan (see the link in #26). It sounds to me as if that didn't happen.
Empty the flash drive then nip through it all again. We'll do it another way this time:
1. Make a folder on your desktop then name that folder HDTEST.
2. Find your download (SeaTools_Bootable_USB_Kit.zip) and double click it to open it.
3. You should now see 11 files but you are actually looking into a compressed file.
4. Copy and Paste all 11 files into the HDTEST folder on your desktop.
5. Open the HDTEST folder and double click the file "Win32DiskImager.exe".
6. A box should pop-up (the one with Write button).
7. Click the blue icon at the top, towards the right of middle.
8. A "Select a disk image box" should arrive which shows the file "SeaTools.img".
9. Click the SeaTools.img file then Save.
10. With the flash drive inserted select its drive letter from the dropdown.
11. Hit the Write button.
12. When it has finished look at the flash drive in "My Computer" to check that the right files are now present (see #31).
All the above is done on your working laptop. You then insert the flash drive in the faulty computer and power it up. If nothing happens after just a few minutes then we will need to investigate further.
Information etc about my item 4 above:
If you don't already know you can copy the 11 files over in one go. Just single left click any one, then hold the Ctrl+A keys down together. All the files will highlight and if you right click the highlighted block you can select Copy. You then open the HDTEST folder and select Paste. All 11 should arrive. At my number 5 you are no longer looking into a compressed file - they've unzipped into the HDTEST folder.
Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks
message edited by Derek