When I boot my Windows 95 Virtual PC, it usually after running autoexec.bat and in middle of the boot screen, displays this message:
“While initializing driver NTKERN
Windows protection error, you have to restart your computer”
And then hangs.
I can boot to safe mode. Also, I can boot into normal mode if I boot to safe mode first then change to normal mode. It only works once then, though.
Tried following things:
1. Other Virtual PC’s work. It’s not a RAM problem.
2. Replace the vmm32.vxd with a clean version from Win95 CABs.
3. Reinstall Windows 95. TWICE.
4. Running RegClean, absolutely no help.
5. Set memory down to 16 MB.
Still no help.
About the version: I’m not sure whether it has packs, OSRs or something, but the System dialog says 4.10.999. Strange enough, command.com says “Microsoft Nashville”, so it’s possible this is a some kind of beta version?
This problem is very annoying, and I have looked it from the Google for around three hours now. What could be the solution?