|Hi, i have installed Windows 98 and Windows XP on the same harddrive. Windows XP is booting , but 98 is hanging and freezing in the Windows 98 splash screen.|
W98 is C:
XP is D:
1. I put the disc on the DVD tray and boot it from the CD.
2. I pressed Windows 98 with cd-rom support. then i started fdisk, Primary DOS partition (98) is 35% and Extended DOS partition (XP but was later converted to NTFS). Set the primary partition to active, and restarted the pc.
3. Windows 98 Setup was later executed, i installed it on C:/Windows and then i choose the custom installation (without Web TV). I typed the name and everything. Then set the nationality, everything was set to Swedish or Sweden. Later Windows 98 started installing.
4. After a restart. i punched in the key and the setup looked for PnP devices. Later i got my first signs of error.
"Your Multi-function device "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller"
has some child devices using 32-bit drivers and others using compatibility mode drivers. Their Configuration is not supported, so your computer has been halted to prevent corruption.
After you restart your computer, Windows will use compatibility-mode drivers for each child device attached to this multi-function device.
If you want to use 32-bit drivers, you may be able to obtain an updated driver for the device that caused the problem by contacting your hardware manufacturer or you can disable the device.
Press any Key to Continue"
i restarted the computer by just holding down the "power on" button. I couldn't press any key when the warning screen was still present.
5. After that it still continued to fin sh installing windows 98, I set the time zone and clock. Then when i restarted the computer, Windows 98 was booting and then it turned black and said like this:
"Completed updating files, continuing to boot windows."
Then it hanged and wouldn't boot.
I restarted once again but this time Windows froze at the splash logo screen.
6. I booted in to safe mode, and it booted to the desktop screen. Weird. But i couldn't install any drivers. Becuase the was no USB that got detected and "My Computer" didnt even detect any CD or DVD drives.
------------------------------------- [Windows 98 Installation ends here]
7. I started to install Windows XP by booting to the disc. I converted the FAT32 D: partition to NTFS and the setup began.
8. After that i typed my name, set the nationality, product key and that, XP was booted with sucess.
9. Then i stuck the USB to the PC and took some drivers to the C: partition.
10. Safe mode was booted to install the drivers (98) but this couldn't be done.
What's wrong?! Help me! :(
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 with HT (turned off) 3,00 GHz (Prescott)
GPU: ATi Radeon X600 256 MB
RAM: 2x512 DDR2 400 MHz?
HDD: Maxtor Maxline III 250 GB SATA
ODD: NEC DVD-RW+
Floppy: Generic Floppy Drive
Sound: Soundblaster Audigy 2
Ethernet: Intel Pro 100/VE Network
Chipset: Intel 945G Express
Do not ask this: Virtual PC's, they are emulated OS's with limitations i refuse to use this.
Windows 98 will be used for Gaming, some software and Nostaliga!
(Sorry for the bad english, i'm 15 and swedish)
All help appreciated!