Solved power surge induced computer failure

March 7, 2014 at 09:05:21
Specs: Windows 7
My Emergency power generator came online while my laptop was plugged directly into a wall socket without a surge protector. The computer power light can be turned on & off and the fan motor can be heard but the screen is totally dead. The computer battery was fully charged at the time. What is the prognosis?

See More: power surge induced computer failure

Report •

March 7, 2014 at 10:33:19
mmm - hard to say...

If you were running on an ac adapter (and with the battery installed as well on this occasion) I can't see as how the surge would do anything to the system... The ac adapter generates typically 19volts which feeds the battery charging system and the rest of the laptop ccts. A surge wouldn't normally do anything in terms of pushing more than 19volts out from the adapter...; most of the adapters have a limiter in the system that would prevent it?

Can you measure the volts out of the ac adapter (the correct volts/current will be on the adapter body). If they're as stated on the adapter body, then likely it's OK.

Long shots...

Remove the battery (and of course the ac adapter too). Press and hold down for about 20-secs the on/off button. Then restore the battery and see if things improve? If not then remove the battery, and re-apply the ac adapter... and see how things are?

Do you hear any beeps when it powers up?

Can you also try to access safe-mode - whichever key it is for your laptop?

And what make/model laptop do you have; and presumably it is running win-7?

Report •

March 7, 2014 at 11:53:21
✔ Best Answer
Not sure if motherboard reset would help on this but it's easy to try:

Turn off laptop and disconnect from domestic power. Remove main battery. Hold the power off/on button down for about 20 secs. Reassemble - if it works then great, if not you are no worse off.

Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question