PC made a sparkly sound, then went off

Hewlett-packard G71-340us notebook
July 8, 2010 at 02:29:45
Specs: Windows 7
I was playing a game I have downloaded on my PC, then all of a sudden, it made a noise like when a wire on one of your appliances is broken(cut, like), and so it sparks. Sort of like a firework(?). Anyways, it made that sound, went off, and when I turned it back on, there was this message(I had installed Win7 about a month ago) that said "No bootable disk in CD Rom"(well, something similar to that, anyway). It sounded like when I was installing Win7, and I took out the disk too soon, and my PC had that message. Anyways, I turned my PC off and turned it back on, and it worked fine after that(thank goodness, no "sparkly" noises after that). But, I was wondering why it would do that? What could be the cause? I'm a little concerned, since it never made a noise like that before, and my PC is only about 9 mo. old. Do I have a lemon or what? I've also had problems with my Win7 shutting down in April. Anyways, any info you people can give me about why it would make that noise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

See More: PC made a sparkly sound, then went off

Report •

#1
July 8, 2010 at 02:43:40
"Sparky sounds" are never good. If your certain it came from inside the machine, power down and look for any loose wiring or connections. The error messages likely were a result of the hardware error from the (possible) short inside the machine---it probably wouldn't have made much difference what you were running OS-wise...

"Channeling the spirit of jboy..."


Report •

#2
July 8, 2010 at 03:26:52
sparkly sounds huh, loose connections or a blown capacitor?

check all wires are properly connected, look for any burned spots on wires and on the motherboard, if you see a capacitor that is blackened or swollen, that maybe your problem, if it happens again smell for and look for smoke, check that your power connection is not loose, however if its only 9 months old, take it back and get it changed, it should still be under guarantee.

i hate computers!
but cant help myself....


Report •

#3
July 8, 2010 at 19:12:39
Hi there! Thank you for your replies. I had my friend who knows about PCs check out the PC and there WERE a couple of wires that are not in too good shape connected to the motherboard, and he said it was dangerous to keep using the laptop. Well, I kind of had a feeling that it wasn't too good to hear a "sparkly" noise, anyways. I think this PC is kind of a lemon. Well, I'm most likely going to get another PC. I think it COULD have become a capacitor problem if I continued to use it. Thanks for all your help!

Report •
Related Solutions


Ask Question