Solved My laptop was stolen with a list of passwords...

Microsoft / Windows 7 enterprise sp1(...
October 13, 2020 at 23:24:04
Specs: Windows 7, 4096 D MMb
My laptop stolen. Unfortunately I left an unprotected folder with passwords on the machine. What would be best practices now to minimise the damage? Can Windows assist to block the OS. How can I deactivate some programs such as Avg, LifeOffice and others? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

See More: My laptop was stolen with a list of passwords...

✔ Best Answer
October 14, 2020 at 14:00:47
See if this guide helps:

https://www.howtogeek.com/212768/ho...

Seems M$ in its infinite wisdom wouldn't allow win8x to recover data from win7 backups; but allows it in win-10.

Incidentally the term backup seems to have been used often to mean a straight copy of files to an external location; and thus that content is simply available as files - for "any" compatible OS to access. A true backup is (or was...) code and required compatible software to access and recover data. Thus when I suggest "backup" I clarify that by saying copy files as such rather than to use a backup software routine (which would be a true backup).

I prefer the simply copy routine as opposed to "code" approach; as it means (as above) the data is there for any compatible OS - without the need for other software.

Acronis and Easus are backup software and work with any compatible OS; and I'm OK with those for "backups" as they usually cover all flavours of windows/Mac etc. future versions (for a while at least); and usually can handle previous versions of their backups.

message edited by trvlr

October 13, 2020 at 23:41:33
Change your passwords NOW!
Are there any banking details included??
Change your banking access/login/passwords

And next time don't be so stupid to leave your phone laptop unprotected!!

message edited by sluc

Reply ↓  Report •

October 14, 2020 at 05:39:05
Hi Sluc. I feel like a grade 1 that just received a good hiding...but you're right. Lesson is: Never think the unthinkable can't happen...because it happened to me. I've changed my bank account and all internet passwords. Anything else I should consider?

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Reply ↓  Report •

October 14, 2020 at 06:42:38
Have you contacted the police; advised friends to be wary of emails purporting to be from you?

Any credit card into on the laptop? Might be wise to have them all re-issued/replaced with new card numbers?

Reply ↓  Report •

Related Solutions

October 14, 2020 at 09:31:18
How was it stolen? From house, school, car, etc? Just curious....

Reply ↓  Report •

October 14, 2020 at 13:46:12
Yes I have done all of that. Finger print guy turned up today. Bank cards changed. Must still do ID and driver's licence. And then hope for the best. Just a question. My backups are all from the Windows 7 laptop and I'm now buying a. windows 10 laptop. I suppose I can't backup to Win 10 or can I?

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Reply ↓  Report •

October 15, 2020 at 07:14:48
I think you have taken all the essential steps. That's great that you have changed your passwords and all other details. Remember always to encrypt the hard drive in the laptop as no one can then access your data.

Reply ↓  Report •

October 15, 2020 at 08:53:32
It was stolen from house.

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Reply ↓  Report •

October 15, 2020 at 08:56:23
Thanks Naheed. I have learnt a huge lesson out of this I promise you.

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Reply ↓  Report •

October 23, 2020 at 12:25:24
Hi Naheed. How do I do that please?

Reply ↓  Report •

October 23, 2020 at 15:58:13
Here's one method of encrypting files and folders:

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vp...

"Channeling the spirit of jboy..."

Reply ↓  Report •

October 24, 2020 at 06:09:47
Hi T-R-A. Thanks for responding. Yes it seems Windows Home edition is really crap. Since I cannot encrypt folders or files is there a good reliable 3rd party tool you can recommend? Or should I consider emigrating to Windows 10 Pro? Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Reply ↓  Report •

October 24, 2020 at 07:42:10
"Or should I consider emigrating to Windows 10 Pro?"

While I personally abhor Win10 and have several reasons to avoid it at all costs (primarily older software), I'd recommend the average user to go ahead and move to it if you're needing anything "up-to-date"....

"Channeling the spirit of jboy..."

Reply ↓  Report •

October 24, 2020 at 08:11:48
Wich one are you using?

Reply ↓  Report •

October 24, 2020 at 08:59:01
"Wich one are you using?" (sic)

Win7 Pro. Also have a desktop with WinXP (SP2). It takes some doing to keep safe on the internet...but not as much as people would have you believe. I don't buy all the FUD about "having" to upgrade to keep safe. I've seen just about everything there is on the internet about "keeping safe"...being smart still ranks at the top.

Also should mention a desktop with Linux Mint and a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian

"Channeling the spirit of jboy..."

message edited by T-R-A

Reply ↓  Report •

October 24, 2020 at 09:52:35
I'm so tempted to go for Win 7 Ultimate or even Pro again. It was quite a pleasure to work on 7.

Reply ↓  Report •

October 24, 2020 at 10:26:40
If you "downgrade", make sure there are drivers for every device for Win7. Also (just stating for the record), remember that "official" (i.e. Microsoft) support for Win 7 ended January 14, 2020.

"Channeling the spirit of jboy..."

Reply ↓  Report •

October 24, 2020 at 11:18:11
Let me ask you this. Seeing that my Win 10 Home is only 14 days old, can I somehow receive a discount from Microsoft if I upgrade to 10 Pro?

Reply ↓  Report •

October 24, 2020 at 12:11:32
r'e win-7 - after XP it was the only windows version that was half decen.

8x was disaster; and for many win-10 is equally so at times.

Maybe consider going to a linux variant?

Reply ↓  Report •

October 24, 2020 at 13:25:01
Thought of Linux but know too little about it. Will need to do some research.

Reply ↓  Report •

October 24, 2020 at 13:36:35
Linux is much more "user friendly" than in days of yore...but still requires a little different "mindset" (for lack of a better term) than Windows. Before going to it, try a live distribution (bootable from CD/DVD) before making the jump.

https://livecdlist.com/

Make sure you know how to write a disc from an .iso file.

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/...

"Channeling the spirit of jboy..."

Reply ↓  Report •

October 24, 2020 at 14:07:22
T-R-A wrote:

> It takes some doing to keep safe on the internet...but not as
> much as people would have you believe. I don't buy all the
> FUD about "having" to upgrade to keep safe. I've seen just
> about everything there is on the internet about "keeping safe"
> ...being smart still ranks at the top.

I didn't realize that we agree so thoroughly in this area.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Reply ↓  Report •

October 24, 2020 at 14:14:57
"Seeing that my Win 10 Home is only 14 days old, can I somehow receive a discount from Microsoft if I upgrade to 10 Pro?"

Unlikely, but you could still contact them to try...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...

"Channeling the spirit of jboy..."

Reply ↓  Report •

Ask Question