Solved Cannot configure Windows 7 SP1 update

July 3, 2011 at 14:31:03
Specs: Windows 7
My Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 installation is successful but then at 7% of the configuration process that follows, my system shuts down and when it reloads, the update configuration fails again and it restores without applying the SP1 update. It shows an error: Installation was not successful. The system cannot find the path specified. Error: ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND(0x80070003). As advised, I have run the Sysyem Update Readiness Tool, I have run the Windows Update troubleshooter and I tried disabling my security programs but this made no difference when attempting the update again. I have a very "clean" system and have not had problems before with Windows updates. Any help would be much appreciated with thanks.

See More: Cannot configure Windows 7 SP1 update

Report •

#1
July 3, 2011 at 16:13:33
✔ Best Answer
http://www.microsoft.com/download/e...

Try downloading it directly from MS.


Report •

#2
July 11, 2011 at 14:38:34
Hi grasshopper, many thanks for your kind suggestion. Unfortunately, when I went to the link, it states that I should not download from there if I am only updating one computer which of course I am and it directs me to Windows Update where I am having the problem so I'm at a bit of a stalemate. I can't believe that no-one else out there has experienced this specific error and I have not had any problems with any previous Windows Updates. The installation itself is successful and it is only failing during the subsequent configuration process. Very frustrating!

Report •

#3
July 11, 2011 at 19:25:02
I have updated to SP1 successfully on two systems but a third one WAS a problem. The problem was not exactly the same as yours but maybe this will help you anyway.... This computer was a slightly older build with an older 'build' of Windows 7 and this may or may not have anything to do with the problem, but the download was successful and the install appeared to go normally but it stopped about 3/4 of the way through and then mentioned an error and removed it self. Assuming an improvement in SP1's installer would come I waited a couple of months and tried again with the same results. This time I proceeded to try to find a solution. I reran the update but this time I did it manually and when it cancelled I noted the options to find a solution. The exact options I do not remember clearly but the first few things that the program led me to were obvious things and they were of no help, the next things appeared to do something and it said it fixed a few things with the updater, but when I tried again I got the same result. Finally I followed everything through going past the options that did not help and finally (almost reluctantly) I was offered a final option that completely rebuilt the Windows Updater (apparently with a newer version) and then when I ran the SP1 update it worked. Although I cannot give you the exact method (Sorry), I CAN tell you that the repair option IS there if you are persistent enough and follow it through. Be stubborn. It will work, though you may need to keep rerunning the install just to get back to the repair options, but they are there.

You have to be a little bit crazy to keep you from going insane.


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
July 13, 2011 at 09:10:16
Hi Fingers, I just wanted to thank you for the advice which I will follow to hopefully get around this temporary frustration! Cheers.

Report •

#5
July 13, 2011 at 20:00:11
Good luck.

You have to be a little bit crazy to keep you from going insane.


Report •

Ask Question