Can Win7 see deleted files on HDD removed from old XP PC

February 22, 2012 at 01:19:50
Specs: Windows 7
Basically, I have a 120gb SATA HDD out of my old PC (Windows XP). Is it possible if I hook it up to my laptop (Windows 7) that I can somehow view deleted files on that hard drive? Someone told me that nothing gets deleted really, just put into RAW format.
I dont want to recover the files really, I just want to see the dates they were created and deleted etc

If so, what would be the best way of doing this?

Thanks a lot

See More: Can Win7 see deleted files on HDD removed from old XP PC

Report •

February 22, 2012 at 04:49:55

Report •

February 22, 2012 at 05:15:35
The link above is for a file recovery program that is free and work pretty well.

You still need a way to connect the drive to your laptop. I suggest you buy one of the adapters I am linking below. This adapter is the Swiss army knife of adapters. I can connect to any 2.5", 3.5" or 5.25" IDE or SATA drive. It has external power which is usually necessary.

Report •

February 23, 2012 at 04:17:11
Hi, thanks for the reply.

That program is excellent, ive used to recover files from an external HDD. I have bought an adapter and the hard drive I am wanting to connect is turning on as it should. However, it isnt showing up on my laptop. It isnt showing in disk management either. When I plug in the USB, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Report •

Related Solutions

February 23, 2012 at 11:19:30
Was the laptop operational when you removed the hard drive?

What type of adapter did you buy?

Report •

February 25, 2012 at 14:56:55
I found out my adapter was faulty and had it replaced. It works fine now.

Is it possible to view all files ever created? Even if they have been overwritten. Basically, the hard drive is around 6 years old, and it has been formatted a couple of times. Whats the chance of finding the oldest stuff? It would help me loads if I could find it thats all.

Report •

February 25, 2012 at 15:16:49
The chances are less but not impossible. You just need to look.

Report •

Ask Question