Solved Batch files not working correctly after windows update HELP!

Hewlett-packard / Pavilion hpe
April 13, 2014 at 13:57:28
Specs: Windows 7 Professional, 3.6GHz 16GB
Earlier today, I installed an update for Windows 7 via Windows Update. After the reboot, none of my batch files would work (I have to be an administrator to use them). When I try to run them the normal way, an error pops up saying that I don't have permissions to access the file. Is this caused by some kind of error? A glitched update or just Microsoft f---ing it up on purpose?

If infinity is infinite, is the square root of infinity infinite as well?
- Kurp Von Steiner


See More: Batch files not working correctly after windows update HELP!

Report •

#1
April 13, 2014 at 19:44:47
RainBawZ: A glitched update or just Microsoft f---ing it up on purpose?
Consider this: Microsoft makes 80% of its money off of businesses. These businesses almost all rely on batch scripts to varying degrees. Do you think a company 39 years old would be foolish enough to do anything that would upset 80% of their market? They fired the Windows lead developer and the CEO for upsetting their consumer market, aka the other 20%.

Without knowing the actual situation, it's hard to know what's going on. If your scripts require admin-level access, make sure you're running them elevated. If you yourself don't have access to run the scripts, make sure the file permissions are in place, and that some security software your running has not decided scripting is beyond its customers.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way


Report •

#2
April 14, 2014 at 03:19:40
I did a little digging in the update log, and I seem to have found the update that did it:

KB2922229
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us...

Also, the error message that pops up for me when trying to run a batch script is:
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item."

I make text based games in batch, and this update might just have killed all of my projects.

Is there a way to uninstall updates (if no other solution is possible)?

If infinity is infinite, is the square root of infinity infinite as well?
- Kurp Von Steiner


Report •

#3
April 14, 2014 at 06:17:35
✔ Best Answer
Oh, it's listed under Installed Updates, found in Programs and Features. Search by the KB number. If the patch is stopping your scripts, be aware that most people won't go though the hassle of uninstalling security updates to play a text adventure powered by batch, so you should probably address whatever Windows doesn't like.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
April 14, 2014 at 19:01:59
I asked some friends to run my scripts, and to look for the KB2922229 patch as well.

They could run batch files just fine even with the patch applied, so I am starting to doubt that it's the patch that's causing all the trouble. Is there any other explanation to the "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." message?

The only thing I know, is that it all happened AFTER a reboot and during the reboot, windows happened to install some updates. (I also messed around with cmd, adding some variables to the machine environment, but that shouldn't make a difference, right?)

I cannot run ANY batch scripts from ANYWHERE on my computer / network / flash drive, they all have to be run as an administrator.

If infinity is infinite, is the square root of infinity infinite as well?
- Kurp Von Steiner

message edited by RainBawZ


Report •

#5
April 15, 2014 at 07:12:33
There are a few things that it could be, so I'd rather not guess. Check the files' ACLs. Check to make sure you can open a Command Prompt. Check to make sure it isn't any sort of security software blocking it. Check to make sure nothing's on your PC's blacklist. Check to make sure you don't have some virus.

Try using Process Monitor to track your script's activities. That should give you a hint as to what exactly is being blocked.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way


Report •

Ask Question