Parvardigar November 14, 2016 at 04:49:34 Specs: Server RDS 2008r2
On Server 2008R2 - Remote Desktop Server -Webroot prevented users from access RDS. RDS locked up. To fix this I had to disable Webroot and then contacted Webroot Support. Thus the remote users were able to log in and work. Because of a potential security risk I disabled Internet Explorer in a policy setting. And I confess to being double dumb. I forget to write down what I did. I have spent days struggling to fix this after reading online references to how to fix a disabled Internet Explorer with that cryptic message: 'Internet Explorer this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer....' I managed to achieve disabling Internet Explorer. When I did this as Domain Admin I assumed it would prevent end users from opening Internet Explorer. What that disabling did was to disable it for all users including the Administrator. Please - let me know how to revive an enabled Internet Explorer. Thanks for your attentions on this serious mistake.
The information on Computing.Net is the opinions of its users. Such
opinions may not be accurate and they are to be used at your own risk.
Computing.Net cannot verify the validity of the statements made on this
site. Computing.Net and Compnet Ventures, LLC hereby disclaim all responsibility
and liability for the content of Computing.Net and its accuracy.