Cal / rds cal

Microsoft Windows server standard 2008 -...
February 4, 2010 at 05:47:58
Specs: Windows 2008 server, C2D 2.4Ghz / 2GB RAM
Alright, so I'm trying to find out what licenses I need to set up a RDS server for 10 users. Obviously I need the server license. And I need the RDS CALs for 10 users / devices. But do I need the "regular" CALs as well?

See More: Cal / rds cal

Report •

February 4, 2010 at 08:54:05
RDS as in Coldfusion server?

Perhaps this question will clarify the answer

Do software [rds] cals replace server cals?

Report •

February 4, 2010 at 08:54:33
lockup on connection - mod please deletet

Report •

February 4, 2010 at 09:59:38
No, RDS CAL as in Remote Desktop Server CAL.

My question is: Does anyone know if I need both the RDS CAL and the usual CAL to allow users to get remote desktop access?

"In addition to a server license, a Windows Server Client Access License (CAL) is required to access the Windows Server software. If you wish to utilize the RDS functionality of the Windows Server software, an incremental Terminal Services Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services Client Access License (TS CAL), or the new Remote Desktop Services Client Access License (RDS CAL) is required as well."

I guess that answers my question, but I just wanted to verify it with someone who has done it before.

Report •

Related Solutions

February 4, 2010 at 11:37:09
Yep that answers your question. Now I have to go find out what the difference is between a TS and RDP cal.

Not a single mention in the MS 6416B course [updating your infrastructure and ad tech skills to server 2008] of rdp licenses. You would figure for a $2000 course they would include info like that.

Report •

February 4, 2010 at 17:08:51
OK now I see what is going on. It wasn't in the class because R2 hadn't released yet.

"Remote Desktop Services (RDS, formally known as Terminal Services in Windows Server 2008)"

Report •

February 5, 2010 at 06:14:00
Yes, you need client licenses.

If you have a Windows 2008 R2 server running RDS, you will need a license for the server software. You will need 10 client licenses and 10 RDS CALs.

However, if you have Windows 2008 TS Cals, they are also good for Windows 2008 R2 RDS.

Report •

February 8, 2010 at 02:15:18
Thanks guys, that answers my question :)

Report •

Ask Question