Unable to join doamin with .local suffix

Custom / NA
December 21, 2010 at 00:10:22
Specs: Server 2003, NA
We have a domain run by a Windows 2003 server (running AD, DNS, and DHCP). The servers name is "server1" and the domain is "mycompany.local". There have been some quirky things going on lately, which I believe is a result of a problem with the DNS settings. Here's the background:

I was trying to join a second server to the domain to act as a BDC. When running through the Active Directory setup wizard on this server, it asks for the domain to join. If I enter "mycompany.local" it spins its wheels for a few minutes and then tells me the DC for that domain can't be found. If I enter "mycompany" for the domain, it ask me if I meant "mycompany.local". If I browse for the domain to join, only "mycompany.local" shows up. Ultimately, there is no way for it to connect to the domain. This all led me to run dcdiag tool on the PDC (again, "server1"). The results are as follows:

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\server1
Starting test: Connectivity
The host 2b97a466-6c24-412d-8fed-d4597fa285b2._msdcs.mycompany.local could not be resolved to an IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
Although the Guid DNS name (2b97a466-6c24-412d-8fed-d4597fa285b2._msdcs.mycompany.local) couldn't be resolved, the server name (server1.mycompany.local) resolved to the IP address (192.168.177.10) and was pingable. Check that the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS server. .........................
server1 failed test Connectivity

That right there seems to be the root of the problem. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

-Ryan Adams

Free Computer Tips and more:http://RyanTAdams.com
Paid Tech Support: Black Diamond


See More: Unable to join doamin with .local suffix

Report •

#1
December 21, 2010 at 00:40:22
I think I got it fixed. When looking in the DNS MMC management console, I noticed that while there was a "_msdcs" folder, there were no sub folders (such as "dc", "gc", etc.) or records in it. I deleted this folder, then ran "netdiag /fix" which recreated the proper entries.

I had run "netdiag /fix" and "dcdiag /fix" several times before, but I guess they didn't do anything since the "_msdcs" folder was there.

-Ryan Adams

Free Computer Tips and more:http://RyanTAdams.com
Paid Tech Support: Black Diamond


Report •
Related Solutions


Ask Question