CAL question

September 13, 2010 at 15:25:46
Specs: Windows XP
I'm helping a friend of my dad's upgrade from server 2000. I'm not really understanding the CAL part of it.

I've read that I need a CAL for "each connection to the server". I'm a little fuzzy on that. Does that refer to DHCP? Or if they need to connection to the same domain, file/printer sharing.

Or do i only need 1 CAL if the server is running to a router since the router will be the only connection to the server?

He's getting me more info on what the server really needs to do but i just wanted to get a little help before the fail boat takes off.


See More: CAL question

Report •

September 13, 2010 at 16:01:13
Most folks don't use a server version as a desktop OS. As such cals don't matter.

CAL, as in client access license, is required for each pc to access the server if the server is running as a server. For example if you have 5 xp workstations accessing the 2000 server you would need 5 CALs

Report •

September 13, 2010 at 16:32:09
so "For example if you have 5 xp workstations accessing the 2000 server you would need 5 CALs"

what does accessing the server entail? roaming profiles? DHCP? File Sharing?

Accessing the server is the point where I'm confused.

Report •

September 13, 2010 at 20:12:27
As I've understood it, a CAL is only needed if the service is being authenticated.

i.e., you could run a DHCP pool without CAL licensing (because there's no authentication), but to authenticate against Active Directory, file sharing, VPN, remote desktop, SQL server, exchange etc, you need an appropriate CAL license for the number of concurrent users.

But, I've only done it once or twice, so you might take that with a grain of salt. The BS licensing rackets are what made me dump MS on my servers & switch to free software - my only limits are the hardware limits.

You should probably contact an MS rep or reseller, if you're going to drink the kool-aid, you'll also need to open your wallet.

Report •

Related Solutions

September 13, 2010 at 22:16:13
fmwap- that makes more sense. thanks for the info. it really helps.

Report •

Ask Question