How can I re-partion c drive

Microsoft Windows 2000 server resource k...
July 28, 2009 at 04:59:31
Specs: Windows 2000
I have loads of space on d drive and ideally would transfer program files from c to d or re-partion my c drive, I don't know how to do either of these solutions, any suggestions please.

See More: How can I re-partion c drive

Report •

July 28, 2009 at 06:00:26
mmm - If you wish to move programmes from c: to d: and leave OS etc. on c: - you can't just "move them"... You have to install them to d: afresh... But first remove them from c: drive...

If you opt to repartition (as in reconfigure) the c: drive/partition you will of course usually need to re-install the whole system afresh afterwards... You can use a partition manger to tweak/change partitions on the fly - with everything still installed etc... Personally I tend to avoid them but they do work... If you go this path - first copy all data to optical media and verify they are all accessible one both parent system and one other... This is to safeguard your data as if anything goes amiss when using a partition util - your data is safe elsewhere...?

I think - having safeguarded data as immediately above... - I'd suggest you do try a partition util... and expand the c: drive partition at the expense of the d: partition... Whichever one you use - read the manual first...!

If at a future date you rebuild the system entirely would be useful to think about how you might do so; so as to allow better use of the drive space.

Report •

July 28, 2009 at 14:14:06
Tools like Symantec Ghost do allow to image a partition to a file. When you restore the image to the same partition, you can change the partition size. The rest will get free unpartitioned space on the drive.

Please send a reply, if you solved the problem !!!

Report •

July 28, 2009 at 14:25:54
C and D the same physical drive or two different drives? If the same drive and you want to resize the partitions, this works dandy...


Report •

Related Solutions

July 29, 2009 at 00:27:11
Thanks for the advice, I have decided to call in a tech as the risk of losing important progs and data is high

Report •

July 29, 2009 at 00:48:17
mmm - wise decision if you're not at all sure or happy about what to do...

Do "insist" that whoever you call in to help does "first copy all your data and important files etc to optical media"; and then verifies they (the CD/DVD - whichever) are accessible on at least one other system. That way if "anything hapens to cause data loss on system as - you have it all elsewhere...

(The techie might even be encouraged to make an image of drive(s) as they are now; and keep those safe too... These images could be restored to a newly reconfigured drive if needs-be or so wished?)

The above is all about safe-guarding your data etc... before anything major is actally done...

Then let him/her set about doing whatever...

Report •

July 29, 2009 at 14:55:20
"I have decided to call in a tech as the risk of losing important progs and data is high"

It's only high if you don't know what you're doing & you don't backup in advance. What you wanna do is really a fairly simple procedure.

Report •

October 13, 2009 at 19:39:48
To repartition the c drive, this solution works fine for you:

To transfer the files between two partitions, you may find this helpful :

Report •

October 14, 2009 at 21:12:02
You should ALWAYS maintain at least TWO copies of any data you wish to keep.

Hard drives fail, nasties can be caught, storms can blowup components, thieves can steal the computer.

I suggest you think about backing up your data before doing anything else.

Report •

October 26, 2009 at 21:13:41
gparted (a free ISO download) will resize partitions with no trouble. All you have to do is download the ISO file, use an ISO burner to burn it to Live CD, and do all the resizing you want. I have used it for about a year now with no troubles. But also, I can understand that for some, it can be scary. But a lot of shops uses the same free tool ( and a lot of other free tools, for that matter).

Report •

Ask Question