Can I install XP over Windows 2000?

Microsoft Windows 2000 professional dsp
October 23, 2010 at 18:53:49
Specs: Windows 2000
Hi, I had a problem with my computer crashing and i was given an old computer that has Windows 2000 OS. the computer is fine for now (free) till we can get another one. My quesion is I have XP CD can I just install that ontop of Windows 2000 because I would prefer XP over the other. I have nothing saved on this machine so I don't need to back anything up. I'm just curious if I can do this. thanks for your help.

See More: Can I install XP over Windows 2000?

Report •

October 23, 2010 at 20:43:39
Yes. Just delete the Windows 2000 partition when you go to install Windows XP, and create a new partition.

Report •

October 24, 2010 at 04:25:25
Thanks for replying, but I have no clue how to do something like that. Is there a step by step dummies guide to doing this :)

Report •

October 24, 2010 at 07:07:46
Do you have at least 512MB of memory? XP will perform poorly if you have less. Do you have all the necessary XP compatible drivers - motherboard chipset, video, sound, network, etc? If not, determine exactly which drivers you need BEFORE you format, then download the drivers & burn them to a disk or copy to a USB jumpdrive. Once you have everything you need, THEN install XP.

We have no idea if you have XP Pro or XP Home or which Service Pack is included on your installation disk. The installation instructions vary a little bit depending on what you have. You'll find step-by-step guides here:


Report •

Related Solutions

October 24, 2010 at 07:14:15

Just make sure your machine meets (...actually exceeds) the requirements for XP first:

"Channeling the spirit of jboy..."

Report •

October 24, 2010 at 09:39:51
It also depends on what type of WinXP CD you have. Look at the link below for more on the types. Be sure to verify the CD you have is going to be OK BEFORE deleting the partition/s on the hard drive or you may end up with no operating system.

What is the make/model of the computer?

Report •

Ask Question