This morning my PC got infected with the rather nasty 'Essential Security 2010' fake anti-virus trojan. Having had some experience of removing things like this I started to do what was needed. At the point when I had to make the registry changes, I discovered I wasn't able to open 'Regedit' as the virus was blocking it. Then for a number of reasons I had to re-boot the PC.
This was when I discovered that I am now no longer to log into Windows. It just logs me out immediately, looping over and over. I'm aware that the virus can make changes to userinit.exe etc so I'm guessing it's something to do with that.
I've searched on this forum and tried many, many different things but nothing has worked yet. Can anyone PLEASE help me get back into windows?? I run my business at home and I have to get this working again!
Just to be clear, these are things I've tried or can't do:
- I can't get in as another user.
- I can't get in in Safe Mode
- The "copy userinit.exe to wsaupdater.exe in the Recovery Console did not work.
- copying a fresh copy of winlogon.exe from the updates folder did not work
- I don't have the original install disc or boot disc because my XP was a pre-installed copy already on the PC when bought from the store.
Any help would be much aprreciated