|This should be posted in the Security & Virus forum, but....what does a Trojan do? Like an 800 lb. Gorilla...anything it wants! |
- Turn of XP restore - Sys properties, System Restore tab, click checkbox Turn Off system restore.
- Download and install Emsisoft Free Anti-Malware, install it, updated the viral definition database.
- Download MalwareBytes FREE, install it, updated the viral definition database.
Then do FULL or DEEP scan with the Emsisoft, remove an malicious items it finds (empy the quarantine if you are sure the items are positives).
Then do FULL scan with the MalwareBytes, remove an malicious items it finds.
- Then d/l GMER anti root kit & scan with that.
Then, if your sys is clean, LOCK IT DOWN!
- Make sure your system is ALL up to date - Services packs & Windows patches, run Microsoft Update several times until no more cumulative patches are available!
- Update Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player & make sure your browsers are up to date on latest versions (Chrome, FF, Opera etc). If you're using Internet Explorer 6 or 7, uninstall and install IE8.
- Make sure your JAVA is up to date
- Update any media players, update & patch Office suite software, make sure your Antivirus is current and up to date with current defintions and engines
-Make sure all your 3rd party software is up to date and patched.
- If you use Skype, Instant messengers etc - make sure they are all up to date.
- Update your software firewall to its current & patched version.
- Disable Simple file sharing
- Turn off Auto run instruction sets on DVD/CD/USB PnP devices
- USE a PASSWORD on your XP user account; make that password STRONG (letters, symbols, numbers and upper & lower case)
- Demote yourself! Do NOT run your Windows system as Administrator! 92% of all security issues can be mitigated by using a least privileged user account. Run Windows under an ordinary user account; but make sure you have a passowrd protected (with a strong password) Administrator account (or two) on the system for use for installing software & doing updates.
- After system is clean & updated, reenable Restore, then check if HDD needs a Defrag.
MOOOOooove! OH and you're welcome!