|I have the svchost.exe virus. It is different from the virus I've heard described on the net. The features of it are:|
1. There is a svchost.exe that under Windows Task Manager takes up to 150,000k of memory. The S in svchost.exe is not capitalized. When I shut the program down it allows me to, opposed to other svchost.exe files, which shut down the computer within 60 seconds. My computer speeds up significantly when this file is halted. However System Idle Process increases CPU use, and the program eventually restarts itself.
2. Norton anti-virus will tell me security threats were detected when websites with names such as "3km4kmici.com" try and contact svchost.exe (this is not one of the actual websites, it is what the website names look like).
3. Audio will periodically turn off. In Sounds and Audio Devices it will say that no audio devices are detected. However sometimes audio does not turn off completely. I will be able to hear Itunes, but not players on the internet, or vice versa.
4. The internet has become incredibly unstable. Firefox will shut down randomly. I also now get redirected to random add websites when I click on some google links. These adds will also open up randomly in a new tab.
5. Windows will change skins back to a Windows 95 look, and then change back to a more modern skin randomly.
I have tried using the win31.welch removal software from Symantec. It did not detect any virus. I have done virus scans with Norton, it did not detect anything. I have not tried anything else because the description of my virus differs from others on the web. I do not use Yahoo messenger for example.