Solved Excell column comparison

November 1, 2011 at 06:32:27
Specs: Windows XP
I need to find a way to compare to column in excel (the cells have both numbers and letters) - I need to know that the cells match each other: example:
Cell A1: STEA3000018148  
Cell A2: STEA3000078148

I need something to tell me that these two cells do not match up - I have 9000 lines to compare - please help


See More: Excell column comparison

Report •


✔ Best Answer
November 1, 2011 at 18:02:10
No, you meant to say what you said in Response # 2: cell A1 and cell B1.

A and B are Columns
1 and 2 are Rows
A cell is the intersection of a Column and a Row, therefore A1 and B1 are cells

There are (at least) 2 ways to determine if the value in Column A matches the corresponding value in Column B.

Option 1: Formula Method:

Enter this formula in C1, then double click the Fill handle. That should AutoFill the formula down to the bottom of your list, assuming there are no blanks in the list of values in Column B:

=A1=B1

The formulas will return TRUE when the values match and FALSE when they don't.

Option 2: Conditional Formatting

Select Column B and apply this Conditional Formatting rule and choose the formatting of your choice. Whenever this Rule is TRUE, the cell in Column B will be highlighted with the format you chose:

=A1<>B1

Click Here Before Posting Data or VBA Code ---> How To Post Data or Code.



#1
November 1, 2011 at 07:24:32
I'm confused.

First you said that you need a way to compare to column then you said that you want a way to tell you that A1 & A2 don't match.

A1 & A2 are in the same column so are you comparing Columns or Rows or what?

If you need to post an expanded example of the data you need to compare, please click on the following line and read the instructions found via that link before doing so.

Click Here Before Posting Data or VBA Code ---> How To Post Data or Code.


Report •

#2
November 1, 2011 at 12:23:50
I am sorry it should be cell A1 and cell B1

Report •

#3
November 1, 2011 at 13:20:09
I ment to say column A1 and B1

Report •

Related Solutions

#4
November 1, 2011 at 18:02:10
✔ Best Answer
No, you meant to say what you said in Response # 2: cell A1 and cell B1.

A and B are Columns
1 and 2 are Rows
A cell is the intersection of a Column and a Row, therefore A1 and B1 are cells

There are (at least) 2 ways to determine if the value in Column A matches the corresponding value in Column B.

Option 1: Formula Method:

Enter this formula in C1, then double click the Fill handle. That should AutoFill the formula down to the bottom of your list, assuming there are no blanks in the list of values in Column B:

=A1=B1

The formulas will return TRUE when the values match and FALSE when they don't.

Option 2: Conditional Formatting

Select Column B and apply this Conditional Formatting rule and choose the formatting of your choice. Whenever this Rule is TRUE, the cell in Column B will be highlighted with the format you chose:

=A1<>B1

Click Here Before Posting Data or VBA Code ---> How To Post Data or Code.


Report •

#5
November 2, 2011 at 07:00:00
DerbyDad 03 - thank you, it didn't work on all columns but it did work on 90% of them, I can't thank you enough. The first formula you gave me was the one I used.

Marcee


Report •

#6
November 2, 2011 at 07:20:50
What do you mean by "it didn't work"?

Since we can't see your spreadsheet from where we're sitting, simply saying that something "doesn't work" is like calling your mechanic and telling him that your car is "making a noise" and expecting him to solve the problem.

Give us some specifics regarding what "it didn't work" means and perhaps we can solve the issue.

Bottom line is that if something works for "90% of them", then there is something different with the other 10%, meaning that the solution does not apply to them. In other words, the solution can't work for 90% of something but "randomly" not work for 10% of the exact same situation.

Click Here Before Posting Data or VBA Code ---> How To Post Data or Code.


Report •


Ask Question