|ok, so I have read a whole load of articles and I am fairly sure that the numbers are stored as text. However I have tried virtually every recommendation to get them to turn to numbers and nothing has worked.|
when i select the range in the formula and hit f9 all the numbers are in "234" quotes so I understand that this proves they are stored as text.
- have tried multiplying all by '1' stored in a seperate cell.
- have tried setting to general, copying, paste special values and add.
- have checked tools options calculations are set to automatic not manual.
- I have tried date->text to columns, finish
- There looks like there are trailing spaces, I have removed those but doesn't help. It just takes the decimal places away so now C2 is 39. rather than 39.00
- All numbers are left justified, reinforcing view that they are stored as text.