Windows Automatically adding TLD

Custom / Ep45-ud3p
February 16, 2009 at 16:32:28
Specs: Microsoft Windows Vista x64 Home Premium, 3 GHz / 8189 MB
Windows seems to be automatically adding TLD to names. This is most noticeable in Internet Explorer. For example, if I type "http://hulu/" Internet Explorer shows me the page located at "http://hulu.net" (however the address bar still shows "http://hulu/". This behavior is also present if I use the command prompt to "ping hulu".

Using Wireshark, I see that my computer is sending out a DNS query for "hulu.mshome" to which the DNS replies with "no such name". My computer then sends a query for "hulu.net" which resolves to an IP address.

Why is my computer automatically tacking on the .net TLD?

-Ryan Adams
Free Computer Tips and more:http://RyanTAdams.com

Paid Tech Support: Black Diamond


See More: Windows Automatically adding TLD

Report •


#1
February 16, 2009 at 20:11:11
From a command prompt on both XP and Vista:

C:\>ping hulu
Ping request could not find host hulu. Please check the name and try again.

The ping failed but nslookup resolved.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: hulu
Addresses: 63.251.179.13, 8.15.7.117
______________________________________

From a command prompt on FreeBSD the first ping resolved.

queyosepa# ping hulu
PING hulu (8.15.7.117): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 8.15.7.117: icmp_seq=0 ttl=52 time=14.910 ms
64 bytes from 8.15.7.117: icmp_seq=1 ttl=52 time=22.769 ms

The second ping didn't:
queyosepa# ping hulu
PING hulu (63.251.179.13): 56 data bytes
^C
--- hulu ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

It queried a different IP address. IMCP may have been disabled on that one.

whois on FreeBSD which is similar to nslookup on Windows listed all domains with hulu.

queyosepa# whois hulu
HULU.LIMOSIN-SERVER.COM
HULU.LIMOSIN-CREATIVE.COM
HULU.JUBILEE-SCHOOL.NET
HULU.NET
HULU.COM

___________________________
IE can't find hulu from the address box on either machine (404) and Firefox finds the site.

The Konqueror web browser in KDE, FreeBSD returns a 404 but from my ISPs page.

I don't know what conclusions to draw from all that but I believe IE only searches what it had in the URL box previously.


Report •

#2
February 16, 2009 at 20:39:02
I've figured out why it's tacking on a .net suffix. For some reason, "mshome" and "net" are being added to my computer's dns suffix search list. More details here: http://www.computing.net/answers/ne...

-Ryan Adams
Free Computer Tips and more:http://RyanTAdams.com

Paid Tech Support: Black Diamond


Report •

#3
February 16, 2009 at 21:09:24
How does that answer the question? It's a link to your other post.

Report •

Related Solutions

#4
February 16, 2009 at 22:13:36
It's tackign on the ".net" since "net" is for some reason in my computer's DNS Suffix Search List. That means when I enter a non-qualified domain name (such as "hulu") it automatically adds ".net" to the end before querying the DNS server. My other post explains that, but unfortunately I know need to figure out why "net" is set as a DNS Suffix Search.

-Ryan Adams
Free Computer Tips and more:http://RyanTAdams.com

Paid Tech Support: Black Diamond


Report •

#5
February 17, 2009 at 05:36:52
You said you figured out why in your post on Feb 16, 20:39:02.

In any event, I deleted all history, cache, temp files, etc...from IE and it didn't add .net when I put hulu in the URL box (Vista). It searched for the web page, couldn't find it and gave the error messeage.

I did the same thing in Firefox and it found the correct URL hulu.com

Both browsers are using the same DNS, so it has to be the browser coding that determines that action, not the PC.


Report •


Ask Question