What do I need to setup office internet

March 18, 2011 at 19:17:47
Specs: Windows Vista
I have an office in my shop and want to put in a computer w/internet. we have internet in the house which is 200' away, then 60' across building, plus 18' up one wall and 18 down other side. so approx. 300' total. I get no reception on a cell phone or radio so i dont think wireless is an option. do you think i should try running a 300' cat 6 cable? this is all pretty new to me.

See More: What do I need to setup office internet

Report •

March 18, 2011 at 22:07:15
300' is the maximum length for cat5/6 ethernet connection. Will the cable be exposed or shielded?

Goin' Fishin' (Some day)

Report •

March 19, 2011 at 02:38:36
It is also possible to put a hub/switch midway of the cable run, You may supply power with a parellel run AC line or Power over Ethernet.

Report •

March 19, 2011 at 05:35:54
Not to be contentious.......simply for the sake of accuracy.......the maximum segment length of Cat5/6 cable is 100 meters. This translates to around 330 feet.

However, I've found you can start experiencing issues with attenuation at about 85 to 90% of the max. If your run is 300' on the nose, it should be ok.............should be. You would definitely want to test and certify it when you're done running it.

Nobody uses hub's anymore. I don't even think they make them any more. What you would use to boost the signal is either a switch or repeater.

If it were me, I'd terminate the long run as soon as it entered the other building (200' away) and put a switch there. Then I'd pull a separate run to wherever you need it inside the building. This negates the issue of cable length and the requirement for a repeater in the line.

It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***

Report •

Related Solutions

March 19, 2011 at 07:03:32
it will be buried in a conduit-once i know it will work.

Report •

March 19, 2011 at 07:07:01
Curt R-
this sounds like a good option. what exactly would i need for a switch? sorry this is all new to me.

Report •

Ask Question