what cable is used to conn WiFi

March 31, 2009 at 06:31:52
Specs: Windows XP
i am connect wireless router to Ethernet Swith for surfing the internet, which cable is used cross cable or straight cable to connect the wireless router WAN port..

See More: what cable is used to conn WiFi

Report •

March 31, 2009 at 07:04:25
A crossover should always be used when connecting like devices. Since the SOHO router is basically a switch with some features added, I recommend you use a crossover.

Others will tell you it's not necessary, which is fairly true considering modern auto MDIX capable units can differentiate between a crossover and a straight through patch cable. However, if you use the crossover, it's one less thing to troubleshoot in the future should you have issues.

Report •

March 31, 2009 at 07:17:48
... and you don't connect it to the WAN port. You connect a Wireless Access Point to one of the LAN ports. The only thing that should connect to the WAN port is a modem.

You can tell if you have the right cable as the link light should come on at both ends. If the link light only comes on at one end or none at all you have the wrong type of cable. If the link light is on at both ends then cable is good.


Report •

Related Solutions

Ask Question