Click here for important information about

Switch-Router-Cable Modem not working

January 17, 2011 at 13:29:16
Specs: Windows XP
I have a Comcast cable modem hooked to a D-Link DIR-615 Wireless-N router, but all 4 wired ports are in use. I then strung a wire to connect a Blu-Ray player to my router, but I need more ports. I have a D-Link 5-port switch, but when I try connecting things to the switch and the switch to one of the router ports, the computers connected to the switch get the "limited or no connectivity" issue and are unable to access the internet. What am I doing wrong?

See More: Switch-Router-Cable Modem not working

January 17, 2011 at 14:08:44
Possibly you are using a patch cable between switch & router when a crossover cable is required.

This can sometimes be resolved by turning off power to all devices in the chain. Then progressively start them up beginning with the Modem. Wait 1 minute then start the router. Wait 1 minute then start the switch. If either the switch or router has self-adjusting ports they can compensate for the type of cable in use but they must be powered up from cold in order to do so.

Goin' Fishin' (Some day)

Report •

January 17, 2011 at 19:53:53
Ok, I tried these things and it did not work. However, I did some checking and found some interesting things. First, I replaced the D-Link switch with a Linksys switch that had an uplink port. I had one computer hard-wired that always seemed to work fine in the switch, but nothing else would work correctly. I checked the wires and the outlet (I had wired them all myself) and found that the computer that was working had a B-type cable from the computer to the wall outlet, but the outlet and wire going to the switch was wired in "A" mode. So, since I figured I had a cross-patch situation, I wired up a cross-patch cable and tried plugging in a "local" (in same room as switch) computer to the switch using the cross-patch cable (plugging the B end into the computer and the A end into the switch). STILL did not work. What finally DID work was disconnecting the computer that was working, then first connecting the local computer into port 5 (which seems to be "joined" somehow to the Uplink port). The local (in computer then acquired an IP address fine. I then reconnected the other computer that had worked previously and it ALSO got an IP address.

Can't say I know WHY this all worked, but it did. (Hopefully, it will stay working.)

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question