|1) What one costs can't be used to extrapolate on the cost of multiple servers as the number, as well as when they're deployed can, and will affect cost. To whit, if you want to deply 5 servers at the same time, that should be cheaper on a per server basis than a single. Deploying 5 servers, one at a time, over a period of weeks will get you the single server cost.|
2) Why would the design engineer be researching cost? This is a simple task that can be farmed out to most anybody in the IT team. The engineer should be engineering. That's what you pay them the big bucks for. All the information one needs for writing an RFP can easily be researched via google.
3) As I said in my first response. Nobody here can answer that for your without full knowledge of the amount of equipment and bandwidth you need. Little details like are you running VM's? If so, are you planning on connecting the servers to the network utilizing LAG's? What kind of business is this that you have a 2 GB per member limit on bandwidth?
The business plan has been drawn up by a $675.00/hour accountant
There's problem number one. Never let an accountant draw up anything. Figure out what you need and then tell the bean counter to write checks. Accountants don't know squat about IT and most barely know how to start a computer up.
Once I gather enough info on setting up our own servers vs using a high priced host, I will stop back in.
Here's some info for you to consider. A proper datacenter will have the following:
- it's own AC system that's independant of the rest of the building
- UPS's (really big expensive ones)
- A generator capable of running all equipment in the datacenter including AC
- fire suppression system that relies on something that isn't liquid
- overhead cable runs (grounded)
- proper server racks (grounded)
- Cat 6 (minimum) cabling
- patch panels in each rack
- Layer 2 (minimum) switches - 10 Gb backlplane
- Dual redundant core switches - 10 Gb backplane
If you don't have a proper data center, you're not going to want to host your own servers.
It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.