networking without router in my college dorm

August 8, 2010 at 10:58:03
Specs: Windows XP
My college doesn't allow routers, and I'd like both of my computers connected to the internet once I get there. I've an Ethernet switch and wireless card, which let me share at home b/c we've only a wireless network at the house (mum's phone creates a hot-spot). However, once I get to school, I'll be unable to plug a network cable from the wall into my desktop and then out of my desktop to the switch. Should I get an adapter for my computer so I can have two ports to run each cable, should I get a splitter to plug both my laptop and desktop directly in to the wall plug, or can I use my Ethernet switch as a non-wireless router? Any new ideas are welcome.

See More: networking without router in my college dorm

Report •

August 8, 2010 at 12:09:13
Ceate an AD-HOC Wireless Network between the PC which has the Internet Connection and to the other PC:

USB Network Adaptors are around $15-20

Report •

August 8, 2010 at 12:10:29
You use the Ethernet switch as an Ethernet switch with is a completely different thing than a router.

Plug the switch into the wall socket via its uplink socket if it has one then each computer into the switch.

If the switch has auto sensing ports then a straight through cable from switch to wall socket will do but you might need a crossover cable.

You will need an Ethernet adaptor in each computer.


Report •

August 8, 2010 at 12:59:16
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try them when I move in.

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question