Solved Networking and Blocking Users

March 14, 2017 at 06:02:33
Specs: Windows Vista & 10
DESKTOP runs Vista Ultimate.
2 internal drives. C (one folder shared), D (shared)
2 external drives. F, G (both shared).
2 users: ADMIN, USER


I have tried to figure settings but am not getting the right results.

DELL needs to have full access to everything!!
DESKTOP ADMIN needs to have full access to everything!!

DESKTOP USER should not be able to access one certain folder on C, all D, all F, all but one folder on G.
SONY (externally) should only be able to access one folder on G.

At one point, I had DESKTOP USER blocked from everything as mentioned above, but when SONY turned on, it could access everything. I could not find anything in OS PERMISSIONS to block it. So I turned off all shares.

How can I properly set this up? I hate the idea of encryption, because if password is forgotten or gets internally corrupted, I lose everything. Want to be able to do this with either by machine access or user access.

Thank you.

I reply as fast as I can, but it could be hours or months.

See More: Networking and Blocking Users

Report •

March 14, 2017 at 14:46:05
Easiest way is to move that folder to a pen drive or optical disc that only you have access to, keep it in your pocket (pen drive) or lock it away somewhere.

message edited by phil22

Report •

March 14, 2017 at 16:06:59
✔ Best Answer
There's a difference between allowing local users on the computer access and setting up shared access. Shared access is granted to user accounts; not computers.

Did you see the responses to your question here:

Since you're running Vista and you want such restrictive permissions, you've got some work again of you. You'll need to set file permissions and then the share permissions.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I searched for article on how to setup file Permissions and Shares.

Doing the best I can here... And remember, there's always more than one path to success. :)

message edited by Jennifer SUMN

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question