|I am writing a proposal to upgrade a high school network and need some assistance. Here is the senario:|
-Exisiting peer network (Windows XP Professional on "server")
-Star topology (Cat. 5 UTP)
-Fast Ethernet Switches (10/100)
-Wireless connection to Internet Service Provider
71 computers: Library building -20
Main Building -10
Computer Lab Bldg. -20
Cyber Center -10
Science Bldg. -10
Office behind Auditorium -1
-Network is used for shared Internet Access (via wireless link to ISP) and custom school management application program.
- 3 additional computers (Auditorium - 2, Photocopy Room -1)
- Virus protection solution
- Windows 2008 Server Operating system with adequate no. of Licenses.
- Cable paths generally following along covered walk-ways.
- Cables are not routed in raceways.
- The general installation looks far from professional and is not structured.
- Cable that leads to office behind auditorium is run aerially between buildings. For support at each end, the cable is wrapped and tied around posts situated on top of each building.
- No problems with network operations were reported. However, mention was made of needing to replace a network switch on three previous occasions due to "burn-out".
What are some solution you would suggest to satisfy the stipulated requirements.
What are some strategies that aim to address stated and/or observed network related problems/standards voilations. Also stipulate and recommend any other equipment/software required to ensure safe, secure and reliable network operations.