|I had similar problem and this worked for me. (The basic problem was that I have two identical Toshiba lap tops (Satellite- A215-54967) running Window Vista. I replaced my ATT router/modem with a Netgear DGND3300A router/modem. The new router works fine wirelessly for all my other computer stuff at home (desktop computer running Window XP, Toshiba laptop running Windows 7, iPhone, iPad, Wii and TiVo) but the Toshibas running Vista would not address the internet.) They would say they were successfully connected to the network through a “local connection” but would not let me get on the internet with IE (Internet Explorer). I tried many things but I think I found a solution on my own. First, I had to make sure the computers were fully updated. I made sure that Vista had Service Pack 2 installed. I downloaded and installed all of the Windows updates. After all of that, the computers still would not let me get on the internet. It was this next step that was the trick. While I thought I had all of drivers up to date, I had to do the following to actually get the computer to work. |
1. First, I clicked on the Start button, and then clicked on Control Panel-Classic View.
2. Second, I clicked on the “Device Manager” and identified the “Network Adapter” tab.
3. Third, I clicked on the “Network Adapter” tab to reveal the “Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter”.
4. Fourth, I clicked on the ““Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter” to show me the next screen, where I clicked on the “Driver” Tab.
5. Once that tab was open, I clicked on the “Update Driver” tab and it asked me to “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
6. I clicked on the automatic search option and it went out on the internet and found the correct driver and installed it. Once it was installed, all of my problems were solved. I now had local and internet access when I clicked on the icon in the lower right corner where you look for wireless connectivity.
I should mention that I had the computers hooked up to the internet through an ethernet connection directly to my Netgear modem in order to update them and search the internet for the drivers. But, it really was a fix, because when I removed the ethernet cable, everything still worked fine with internet access.
I also should mention that when I first opened the computers once the router was on, the computers recognized the wireless network name and I was able to key in the password successfully. It just would not let me get on the internet until I installed the device drivers.