|Hi, as the title suggests, I am having a problem with my wireless internet. I can get it to work for approx 10 to 15 mins on my desktop before it will shut off and stop working completely. It says I am still connected to the network and that my connection is good (and that I'm receiving data) but eventually webpages won't show up (Chrome says it is waiting for data from the website) and I cannot download (programs or games on Steam) and other programs that use the internet don't work (IM, Skype...etc). Downloading on Steam also seems to make it hangup or quit immediately. I was also having an issue with XBOX live where it wouldn't work when a game loaded up (I could sign, just when the game loaded it signed me out), but after messing with the router's firewall settings and restarting the cable modem and the router it started working (this however didn't fix the problem with my desktop). The internet on the other desktop connected directly to the cable modem works fine. Here are the solutions I already tried - |
Self built desktop - running Windows XP with the latest Service Packs and updates
Linksys WRT54G router
Belkin Wireless g USB network adapter
1. I restarted all devices (modem, router, cpus) and powered down the modem and router (for at least 30 mins).
2. I updated the firmware on the router
3. I updated the drivers on my wireless adaptor
4. I tried to let Windows Explorer and Comcast Desktop Assistance diagnose and fix the problem. Windows suggested it was Firewall related - so I turned off the windows desktop firewall and this didn't help. Comcast DA said it was an issue with my network card and the IP addresses. It attempted to fix the problem, but said it couldn't. I had no idea how to fix this manually or if it was even the issue.
5. I changed the settings on router's Firewall, which seemed to fix the Xbox live problem, but not the cpu (I can give list of what I did as soon as I get home)
6. I ran my anti-virus, windows defender and spy-bot search and destroy (both were updated)
The network started messing up when I changed anti-viruses from AVG to AVAST. On the same day I also set up wireless headphones for my Xbox that uses the same frequency as the router, but the issues persits even when it is turned off. Also, whenever I have the network "repaired" by Windows the internet works briefly (less than the 10 mins), but it does fix it for a few mins.
I think it all has something to do with the setting of either my router or my network on my computer, but I'm at a loss and don't know what else to even try. Please, any help would be appreciated and sorry for the long post - I tried to include everything.