Click here for important information about

Home ethernet wiring

April 28, 2010 at 21:16:02
Specs: Windows 7 64bit
?quickkey=3lhzzom0egh">This is a
picture of the patch panel I am dealing with in
the house I just moved into. It is wired with
cat5e ports through out the house. <a
?quickkey=fi2y2nzdmof">This is the
whole panel with the cat5e coming in from
topp right and my broadband feed hooked up
to one of the many coax jacks in the house on
the lower right. My modem in in the office
behind the jack I have the feed hooked up to. I
do not understand this patch panel. If I put my
modem in this panel and run the ethernet from
the modem to the bottom port on the patch
panel labeled "feed" with this then activate my
ethernet ports throughout? Why is the top port
of the patch panel labeled "neutral" with only
two wires punched down? Why do I have one
red cat5e port in the house? How can I make
this work? As much as I'd like to start over to
fully know what I'm dealing with, I would like to
make the existing model work best I can. All
help is greatly appreciated!

See More: Home ethernet wiring

April 29, 2010 at 01:43:33
The patch panel seems to be wired for telephones, For
networking you would expect a switch or router and a cable
modem. There appears to be a broadband amp for the cable,
But there is not enough splitters to feed all the rooms.

Report •

April 29, 2010 at 07:25:29
I've never seen a patch panel like that and I've been doing this a while.

I don't see any RJ-45 jacks on where does one plug a network cable into it? Without RJ-45's, it's useless.

If I were you, I'd buy a small 12 port Patch Panel and replace that mess.

The following link shows some pictures of proper network patch panels both front side, and back side of several different styles of PP's.

Typically, you want your patch panel to be located where your internet comes in. Whether cable or xDSL matters little as whichever it is, it connects to a modem. The modem itself has an RJ-45 output which typically you would plug into the WAN port of a SOHO Router (using a network cable) and if you have more than 4 clients, you would plug a switch into the LAN port of the router and then, all client connections coming from the patch panel would plug into the switch. Like so:

Internet >> Modem >> Router >> Switch >> PP >> Clients

Report •

April 29, 2010 at 07:41:08
Thanks a lot. The thing is, I think that the phone wiring is in that
mess somewhere. I can put together a network, It just becomes infinitely more difficult when you have someone else's mess to
deal with. I think it's all dsl/phone feed. It's a bummer because
there are cat5 ports everywhere in the house but it is going to be
a pain in the ass to use em. I just don't understand the patch
panel being right at the point of entry. Why would they do this?
The fact that it has a "neutral" designation for the top level tells
me it's telephone. Weird.

Report •

Related Solutions

April 29, 2010 at 09:17:43
I don't think we are seeing the hole picture. Can you zoom out. This does look like Ethernet punch down because there are way too many pairs for it to be phone unless this was and Office setup for Digital Phones or IP phones. It does not look like a cross connect but more of a termination which would mean you may have a router or switch connected into your Smart Box for Ethernet. So again can you zoom out so we can see your entire smart box?

Report •

April 29, 2010 at 09:32:26
The first picture is a 110 punch down block normally used as a cross connect. Think of it as the network equivalent of a telco 66 block.

Report •

April 29, 2010 at 09:43:36
I can put together a network, It just becomes infinitely more difficult when you have someone else's mess to deal with.

You can say that again! You should see some of the messes I've had to clean up over the years.

I agree with ace_omega. My initial look at the images you pasted the links to, especially the close up of the panel, looked to me like all 8 wires were terminated. Plus, the panel itself was color corded for the 4 pairs, Blue, Orange, Green, Brown.

I just looked again now and it appears there's also space to punch one more pair on each but from what I can tell, nothing is punched in those slots.

You never did answer my question about whether or not that panel has RJ-45 connectors on it. Does it?

I still say, your best bet is to buy a 12 port patch panel and punch all those cables on to it. After testing the lines to verify they work, you could then build a small shelf to hold your modem/router/switch and mount it on the wall under your patch panel. Then just run cables from the PP to the switch, connect the switch to the router and the router to the modem and you'll have a LAN and external (internet) connectivity to each outlet.

Report •

April 29, 2010 at 09:45:53
If this was an Office Building I would agree. We have used Telco Blocks (usually because they contracted a telco guy to do the network wire too and they don't carry patch panels on their trucks) for Ethernet before but like stated above, we usually cross connected it into a RJ45 Patch Panel of some sort to connect up the Router and other equipment.

My problem is why would they punch down all of the pairs when at most all you need is Blue and Orange in a home then you would put loops on the other wires to prevent ingress. It could have just been a poor installation too and I am reading too much into it.

Its hard to tell without seeing where the wires are running to.

Report •

April 29, 2010 at 10:16:11

More Pics.

@Curt: No RJ-45s. Wires come through the top of the box and
wrap around the PP and terminate in the panel.

Wires are labeled and work in the corresponding rooms. This
panel throws me off. The bottom one is labeled "feed" but it
comes in from the top in the same bundle. I hope these pics can
shed a bit more light.

Report •

Report •

April 29, 2010 at 11:32:58
It's difficult to say for sure, but it looks like they used the 110 block (instead of a 66 block) to distribute upto 4 phone lines to 10 physical extensions/locations.

I don't see any T568 (Ethernet) wiring.

Report •

April 29, 2010 at 11:36:05
This is your clearest picture that shows the vertical wires that tie each of the connections.

Report •

April 29, 2010 at 12:08:58
That's the oddest patch panel I've ever seen!

If the other end terminates to RJ-45 outlets, that's network. If they terminate to RJ-11 outlets, that's phone.

Since you only use one pair for phone and I see all 4 pairs punched on this panel, I suspect they're for the network.

Where does the one marked "feed" come out?

Again, I'd recommend you get a normal 12 port patch panel. mark each cable according to what is marked on the wall (to keep them straight) and then repunch them on the new PP.

Once you're done and the cables are tested, I would install a shelf below that and I'd put my modem/router/switch on it. Period. If you look around, you can even find a nice little 12 port PP that can be mounted directly without having to buy a bracket.

Report •

April 29, 2010 at 14:05:30
I would remove the metal backing plate to see if there is any
other connections behind. Then mount a patch panel and a
proper splitter for the cable. Where is the existing phone

Report •

April 30, 2010 at 06:57:34
"If the other end terminates to RJ-45 outlets, that's network. If they terminate to RJ-11 outlets, that's phone."

That's not really accurate. I terminate all of my phone lines to RJ-45 (4pr USOC) to accommodate 4 phone lines.

I've looked at the photo a number of times and am now convinced that the entire block is wired as 4pr USOC and the 10 separate punch downs are wired in series, which can be seen via the vertical wires in the background. This 110 block setup is a much cleaner approach to distribute phone lines than using the more common 66 blocks.

The first step should be to use a "Fox and Hound" to trace and identify each Cat5e cable. Then decide which of those connections are to be used for network and disconnect them from this punch down block.

Next step would be to install a small network patch panel and terminate the cables. You will also need to install a small switch and connect short patch cables between the new patch panel and switch.

Report •

April 30, 2010 at 07:51:21
That was for an Office this is a Home. If it did terminate to RJ45 and they used either A or B wire configurations on their termination then the OP could use this wire any ways because it is Cat5. All the op would have to do is either is get a patch cable rack and mount it in the box. Then he could pull the wire and repunch it on the patch cable rack. Or, they could just put RJ45 connectors on the end of the wire and hook their router in the box.

I would tone the wires out first to make sure they only terminate to the jack and not like an alarm or something crazy. Unfortunately toners are kinda expensive but that is only because I buy Progressive but I think Home Depot caries the cheapest ones. I think they even carry patch racks too.

Report •

Ask Question