Found this idea about crossover cable in Popular Science

Dell / Inspirion 1545
February 24, 2013 at 11:20:40
Specs: windows Vista home premium SP2, Intel Pentium dual Core T4200 2.00Ghz
Now I found this little article in the H2.0 section of Popular Science (Some of you techs read it, right?). It says that by re-arranging the wires on one end of the cable you can use it as a fast crossover cable between two computers.

I've used a regular CAT5e cable between 2 computers just fine.

Here's what it says to do:

1: Cut off the plug on one side of the cable, strip off the outer covering and untwist the 4 pairs of wires inside.
2: Rearrange the wires in the order:

3: Attach a new RJ45 plug, connect the 2 computers and transfer all your data!

Does this sound like it would work? In my case running 2 cables, one to each computer, through a router works just fine.

Not everyone can decipher Klingon script...
chay' ta' SoH tlhe' vam Doch Daq

See More: Found this idea about crossover cable in Popular Science

Report •

February 24, 2013 at 11:29:56
"The router takes all the bits being sent out by the computers and relays them onto the other devices on the network. However, a crossover cable can be used to connect two devices directly, without the need for a router in the middle. It simply reverses some of the pins so that the output on one computer is being sent to the input of another."

Report •

February 24, 2013 at 12:38:20
I understand this, but i've used a direct cable, no modifications, straight out of the packaging to connect two computers for a quick gaming session and it worked fine. Why would this be any different?

Not everyone can decipher Klingon script...
chay' ta' SoH tlhe' vam Doch Daq

Report •

February 24, 2013 at 12:56:04
Did you use a patch cable, or a crossover cable? PopSci's telling you how to turn a patch cable into a crossover cable, which would be required to have two NICs communicate.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Report •

Related Solutions

February 24, 2013 at 14:03:31
Most NICs autosense the Rx/Tx connections nowadays, especially gigabit ones, so any cable should work.

Report •

February 25, 2013 at 11:35:21
That article assumes the cable was wired as a TIA/EIA 568B

If it was wired as 568A then it would have just stayed a 568A wired cable.

Crossover is A at one end and B at the other

Answers are only as good as the information you provide.
How to properly post a question:
Sorry no tech support via PM's

Report •

February 26, 2013 at 07:35:04
Just to add to what wanderer said, for a true 1000 Mbps crossover, you have to cross all 4 pairs, not just the two you would normally for a 100 Mbps crossover.

I've made a ton of cables over the years and only do the full crossover now. In the days prior to 1000 Mbps NIC's I used to just reverse the green/orange pairs. I mention this because some diagrams online will only show you reversing those two pairs and you'll only get 100 Mbps out of that type of crossover. To get a full 1000, you need to cross the blue/brown too.

It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***

Report •

Ask Question