Ethernet switch question

January 17, 2010 at 03:51:33
Specs: Windows 7
Ok, kind of got a strange one. I have cable internet with a modem, I use a wireless router (standard d-link wireless g/n router.) So I bought a little wireless etherner bridge Pelican brand wireless adapter for xbox 360 (It actually works for anything though it's just a standard ethernet bridge.

so I could bring wireless to my gameing systems through the ethernet ( the ps3 has built in wifi but i need the PS3's wifi open to communicate with my psp. a program called adhoc party uses it and requires the internet to the ps3 to be brought in through the ethernet plug, srry, useless info). So i got the xbox and the ps3 both needing to be hooked up through this bridge and I don't want to buy another one. I know they both work perfect when i plug the bridge in. I don't need to adjust anything just move the ethernet cable from one system to the other.

My question is, can I get a ethernet switch so I can keep the, both hooked up at the same time to the bridge? would that work?

the switch i was going to get is the:

TRENDnet 5-Port 10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch TE100-S5 (Blue)

Price is an issue so thats why the cheap one.

See More: Ethernet switch question

Report •

January 17, 2010 at 04:53:39
Don't see any reason why it shouldn't. If you have DHCP enabled in the router it should just be a straight forward plug and play. Both games adapter shoe get a DHCP address through the bridge and to the router.

Ethernet switches are cheap as chips these days so even the cheapest will be adequate for home use.


Report •

January 17, 2010 at 06:32:21
Ok well I just found out that model won't work because the
xbox sends a higher data packet size than the buffer of the
switch. The xbox mtu is around 1380 or somthing close to that,
what's the cheapest switch I could get that has a large enough

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question