Solved Deal with poor WiFi coverage in next room in older house

March 25, 2016 at 12:45:00
Specs: Mac's and PC
Hi, I have Comcast internet service with an extender box and still have trouble getting wifi to the next room. It's an older house- I was told sometimes in older houses they use chicken wire in the walls. Plus there is a large mirror on the wall between the 2 rooms.
The router connects to a PC but I have Macs in another room. If I take my Macbook Pro out to the living room the signal interrupts (10-15' away from the router but with the wall in between). Would I use an access point or something to bounce the signal around the wall? Where would I place it? Suggestions?

See More: Deal with poor WiFi coverage in next room in older house

Report •

March 25, 2016 at 13:23:10
✔ Best Answer
Consider using home plug adapters. These circulate the lan over the house mains wiring.

They come allowing ethernet connection only; or wifi (with or without ethernet cable connection option too).

If using ethernet only then - plug one into an a/c socket adjacent to the router. Plug one into any convenient a/c outlet in the room(s) where wifi signal is weak.

Connect the router to the adapter in its room via an ethernet cable.

Connect your Macbook to the adapter in its room also via an ethernet cable.

If wishing to extend wifi (with or without ethernet option) get the homplug wifi extender adapter for the distant room.

In the UK and Europe many use Devolo (they were the first); whereas in the USA/Canada Devolo is not available, but D-link, Netgear, and Cisco/Linksys make similar modules/adapters.

Belkin also make wifi extenders which rely on being able to detect the "master" router's wifi signal, and then then reradiate it. Personally I prefer to user the systems which are fed via ethernet (lan over mains) adapters; and then use a wifi adapter - still fed via the layover mains - for the distant room.

message edited by trvlr

Report •

March 27, 2016 at 13:03:52
Thank you- I'll try it!

Report •

March 27, 2016 at 14:04:48
Incidentally Netgear Cisco/Linsys etc also make "extenders" which (are mains powered and which) detect the "master" wifi signal, and then reradiate it accordingly. They do depend (as does the Belkin to which I referred earlier) on a decent original signal being detected of course. Non homeplug style extenders usually work better when fed from an ethernet/cat-5 source (it being more stable than relying on wifi as the initial source).

Such extenders can of course be fed via homeplug adapters (using the ethernet/cat-5 version) as running a long cat-5 cable between the "master" and repeater/extender may not always be viable?

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question