Bytes received 100s of errors every time

July 16, 2010 at 23:41:29
Specs: Windows 7
I'm using Earthlink Accelerated dial up on Windows 7. The modem driver is up to date. I keep getting literally hundreds of errors in my bytes received activity.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

Many errors

How can I stop these errors?

See More: Bytes received 100s of errors every time

Report •

July 17, 2010 at 06:18:12
Compare the number of errors (798) to the total number of received bytes (42,930,809)

Don't worry about it, that's not enough errors in 43 million bytes to worry about.

It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***

Report •

July 19, 2010 at 10:15:43
Thx for the reply Curt R.

That's true but all the errors are slowing down my already slow Internet browsing and downloading. It's especially bad when I'm trying to check my email. It stalls for long periods of time.

When I had a certain other dial up ISP I won't mention by name I RARELY ever got 1 error on either comptuer I use regularly (my home desktop and my grandmother's laptop)

It seems like the problem is with Earthlink...

Anyone have any idea what is causing this or how to fix it?

Report •

July 19, 2010 at 10:32:40
Those errors have nothing to do with slowness or downloading email.

You are incredibly lucky to be getting 50kbps. Average around here is 28k due to multiplexing the copper lines.

Don't download your email. Review it on the server using the isp's web mail tool.

Errors can be compression related so turn off compression though it may make downloads slower.

Report •

Related Solutions

July 26, 2010 at 21:08:33
Well it looks like Earthlink has a new tool on their support page called Earthlink Autofix. I'll dl that and hopefully it will fix the problem. If that doesn't maybe I should buy a new phone cord.

* Diagnoses & fixes connection issues automatically
* Fixes email settings
* Detects possible service interruptions
* Reduces the time speaking with a support agent
* Eliminates explaining complex errors to support

*crosses fingers*

Report •

July 31, 2010 at 15:17:55
Well that didn't help either...

I'm starting to think this is the same Bait N Switch scam I ran into with my last dial up ISP.

Basically the access numbers they give you in your area code don't work without all kinds of connection errors/problems. Then if you use other numbers from other area codes they work 100% fine. They want you (and basically force you to since the local numbers don't work right) to use the other numbers that are outside of the local numbers so that they can charge all kinds of money for long distance calls.

This is a fraudulent scam people need to be aware of!

I fell for this once already and I got a $2,200+ long distance bill with my last ISP for Internet services that normally cost $16.95 a month. This definitely reeks of the same scam...

It's a damn shame they're getting away with this.

First AT&T now Earthlink...

Report •

Ask Question