Broadband/Router, Networking n Ethernet?

February 5, 2010 at 13:24:30
Specs: Windows XP, Windows 7
Dear people reading this post, I have come unstuck, please help if you can.

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 PC, am currently on AOL Dialup but am about to change to Broadband and am looking in to getting a 'N' WPA enabled Wireless Router as my new Vaio Laptop supports the N series and like most new Laptops comes with built in Ethernet and Wireless facility. I am not sure if I have an Ethernet facility in my Dell PC though, (when checked in my PC’s Device Manager/ Network Adaptor’s/Properties/Driver details, I have something called nic1394.sys and also BroadcomNetxtreeme57xxgigabit controller - is the former one my Ethernet?). Can I treat it as such?

However, if that isn’t the Ethernet, then what may I do to make my non Ethernet Dell PC speak to my Wireless Router, Vaio Laptop, new X-box and USB printer that is connected to my Dell PC and our spare Netbook? Please note that, my Vaio Laptop Operating System is Windows 7 and my Dell PC O/S is Windows XP Home Addition SP2. Would I need to buy a NIC or WNIC card, if yes, will I need a technician to install it? Or would I have to buy a Wireless Adaptor for my Dell PC? I wish to make my Dell PC the main protagonist in my Home Network, as my partner has to take the Laptop when travelling (which has a separate dongle for this) – as a result of the laptop not always being stationed at home, it would be useful to have my Dell desktop PC as the main Network administrator if you will. Also the non wireless USB Printer/Scanner is connected to this PC. How do I go about this, especially as both my PC’s have different operating systems too. Or will the best option be a separate wireless adaptor for my Dell PC? Or can a Lan cable or a specific cable sort this problem out?

I’d really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions that would help me resolve this, I thank you in advance for your time.

PS: Is Wireless Router and Wireless Home Hub the same thing? And the only difference being BT’s branding hence called Home Hub? :-0

Best wishes

See More: Broadband/Router, Networking n Ethernet?

Report •

February 5, 2010 at 15:46:23
I have the same PC. The broadcom is the wired NIC. If you want wireless you have to buy either a PCI internal wireless card or a USB wireless adapter.

I don't know anything about BT but I think you need a wireless router.

How do you know when a politician is lying? His mouth is moving.

Report •

February 6, 2010 at 05:53:25
Thanks Guapo, I shall bear that in mind.

Report •

February 6, 2010 at 07:24:43
The BT Home Hub is a Wireless router.


Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question