Rumor: New iPad has...

Apple Ipad 16gb tablet
August 11, 2010 at 12:33:28
Specs: Macintosh
Rumor: New iPad has...
Fred Moore
Rumor: New iPad has 7-inch screen, Cortex-A9 processor
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20013128-263.html>

Now that news related to the iPhone 4 launch has cooled down, iPad rumors are heating up. The latest suggest a speedier and possibly smaller-screened tablet device from Apple as early as January.

Reporting from Taipei, Digitimes Research claims to have the drop on Apple's first revision to the wildly successful iPad. According to the report, Apple will beef up the speed of the iPad by swapping the Apple-built A4 processor with a Cortex-A9 and replacing the 256MB of RAM with the same 512MB currently found in the iPhone 4.

With the faster Cortex-A9 processor and double the RAM, the rumored new iPad would take mobile gaming to yet another level.

Interestingly, the report also claims Apple will release a 7-inch version of the iPad to complement the current 9.7-inch screen. The smaller screen will maintain the 1,024x768 resolution currently found on the first-generation iPad.

Though not specifically mentioned in by Digitimes, one wonders if Retina Display technology will be used in new iPads. The devices currently only boast a pixel density of 132 ppi (compared with the sultry 326 ppi included on the iPhone 4).

The best part? You may be able to swipe your fingers across one in the first quarter of 2011. In current (and official) iPad news, Apple has turned on the Mobile Genius App-finding feature for iPad apps in the App Store. You can find the Genius tab on the bottom toolbar to the far right after opening the App Store on your iPad. If you're stuck trying to sort through the more than 200,000 apps available on the App Store, the Genius feature can help you find apps based on those you currently own.

How do the latest iPad rumors strike you? Would you buy the smaller 7-inch screen or the current size? Let us know in the comments!

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


See More: Rumor: New iPad has...

Report •

#1
August 11, 2010 at 12:39:28
nospam
more fluff.

> Now that news related to the iPhone 4 launch has cooled down, iPad rumors are heating up. The latest suggest a speedier and possibly smaller-screened tablet device from Apple as early as January.

the next model is going to be speedier? you don't say.

> Reporting from Taipei, Digitimes Research claims to have the drop on Apple's first revision to the wildly successful iPad. According to the report, Apple will beef up the speed of the iPad by swapping the Apple-built A4 processor with a Cortex-A9 and replacing the 256MB of RAM with the same 512MB currently found in the iPhone 4.

why would they do that? why not just come out with a faster a5 chip?
the 512 meg memory is a near certainty, however.

> With the faster Cortex-A9 processor and double the RAM, the rumored new iPad would take mobile gaming to yet another level.

and having a better gpu and a gyroscope.

> Interestingly, the report also claims Apple will release a 7-inch version of the iPad to complement the current 9.7-inch screen. The smaller screen will maintain the 1,024x768 resolution currently found on the first-generation iPad.

maybe.

> Though not specifically mentioned in by Digitimes, one wonders if Retina Display technology will be used in new iPads. The devices currently only boast a pixel density of 132 ppi (compared with the sultry 326 ppi included on the iPhone 4).

one need not wonder if one has any capability to do simple math.
to get 326 ppi on an ipad would require roughly 2.5x the number of 
pixels in each dimension (~2500x1900), which is a little more than what 
a 30" cinema display has. that's not going to be feasible given the 
constraints of a mobile cpu/gpu and limited memory.
the iphone 4 uses the same cpu as the ipad and the screen has slightly 
fewer pixels (1024x768 versus 960x640).

> The best part? You may be able to swipe your fingers across one in the first quarter of 2011.

the iphone and ipods have settled into a yearly product cycle so it's not at all surprising that a new ipad might come out about one year after the first model.
they pay people to come up with this stuff?

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

#2
August 11, 2010 at 12:46:51
I See
Definitely.
There'll be incremental screensize convergence with the iPhone, so Apple can see where the sweetspots for one-handed (iPhone) and two-handed (iPad) devices lie - IMO, probably around the 6-7" mark ... with the phone around the 4.0" mark.
At 5.0", the Dell Streak is too big for one-handed use.
It'll be interesting to see whether the current 9.7" is too big for the iPad - which I suspect it is.

>> Though not specifically mentioned in by Digitimes, one wonders if 
Retina Display technology will be used in new iPads. The devices 
currently only boast a pixel density of 132 ppi (compared with the 
sultry 326 ppi included on the iPhone 4).

> one need not wonder if one has any capability to do simple math.
to get 326 ppi on an ipad would require roughly 2.5x the number of pixels in each dimension (~2500x1900), which is a little more than what a 30" cinema display has. that's not going to be feasible given the constraints of a mobile cpu/gpu and limited memory.
the iphone 4 uses the same cpu as the ipad and the screen has slightly 
> fewer pixels (1024x768 versus 960x640).

>> The best part? You may be able to swipe your fingers across one in the first quarter of 2011.

> the iphone and ipods have settled into a yearly product cycle so it's 
not at all surprising that a new ipad might come out about one year 
> after the first model.
they pay people to come up with this stuff?

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

#3
August 11, 2010 at 12:53:59
AES
> It'll be interesting to see whether the current 9.7" is too big for the iPad - which I suspect it is.

Keep demographics in mind: aging populations = aging eyeballs (like mine) = need for larger type size = desire for larger screen size, since having to read heavily re-wrapped text on a small screen is not pleasant.

In article
<siegman-5DAFED.08351811082...@BMEDCFSC-SRV02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>,

 AES <sieg...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> In article <8cfopkFp5...@mid.individual.net>,
>  "I See" <mouc...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > It'll be interesting to see whether the current 9.7" is too big for the iPad - which I suspect it is.

> Keep demographics in mind: aging populations = aging eyeballs (like mine) = need for larger type size = desire for larger screen size, since having to read heavily re-wrapped text on a small screen is not pleasant.

When I got my iPad, I didn't figure on it replacing my Nook for ebook reading because of the size.  But after using it a couple of times lying in bed on my side, I find that it is just fine for all of my reading. So IMO, I think the size is just fine.
-- 
Lloyd

I See

... or paraphrasing : - "Please don't start making smaller ones instead of 9.7-inchers, Mr. Jobs".
More is better. 
More choice, more sales.

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
August 11, 2010 at 13:01:30
nospam
In article <8cfopkFp5...@mid.individual.net>, I See

<mouc...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >> Interestingly, the report also claims Apple will release a 7-inch
> >> version of the iPad to complement the current 9.7-inch screen. The
> >> smaller screen will maintain the 1,024x768 resolution currently
> >> found on the first-generation iPad.
> > maybe.
> Definitely.
you don't know that.

> There'll be incremental screensize convergence with the iPhone, so Apple can see where the sweetspots for one-handed (iPhone) and two-handed (iPad) devices lie - IMO, probably around the 6-7" mark ... with the phone around the 4.0" mark.

why? they can't make enough ipads to sell, so there's no need for alternate sizes any time soon. plus, making a 6-7" ipad would mean all software would need to be revised, again. having everything smaller isn't going to work well.

> At 5.0", the Dell Streak is too big for one-handed use.

the streak is obsolete before it's even sold. it ships with a year-old version of android (1.6). what the hell are they thinking?

> It'll be interesting to see whether the current 9.7" is too big for the iPad - which I suspect it is.

based on what? it's selling like crazy.

Erilar
AES <sieg...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> In article <8cfopkFp5...@mid.individual.net>,
>  "I See" <mouc...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> It'll be interesting to see whether the current 9.7" is too big for the iPad - which I suspect it is.

> Keep demographics in mind: aging populations = aging eyeballs (like mine) = need for larger type size = desire for larger screen size, since having to read heavily re-wrapped text on a small screen is not pleasant.

And the current size works fine for me. I just wish some news apps I'd otherwise like came in iPad size.  Doubling the size just makes them blurry.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

#5
August 11, 2010 at 13:05:37
DevilsPGD
In message <110820100917046716%nos...@nospam.invalid> nospam
<nos...@nospam.invalid> was claimed to have wrote:

>why? they can't make enough ipads to sell, so there's no need for alternate sizes any time soon.

The biggest delay is reportedly sourcing the panels.  If they can find
an alternate source, or find that smaller panels can be produced
substantially cheaper, it makes sense to push these out sooner rather
than later.

>plus, making a 6-7" ipad would mean all software would need to be revised, again. having everything smaller isn't going to work well.

It depends if they intend on changing the resolution or not.  It's possible the goal is to increase the DPI while matching the resolution with the larger iPad.

>the streak is obsolete before it's even sold. it ships with a year-old version of android (1.6). what the hell are they thinking?

Someone was drunk?

DevilsPGD
In message <lloydparsons-BCA276.10442411082...@port80.individual.net>
Lloyd Parsons <lloydpars...@mac.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>When I got my iPad, I didn't figure on it replacing my Nook for ebook reading because of the size.  But after using it a couple of times lying in bed on my side, I find that it is just fine for all of my reading.
So IMO, I think the size is just fine.

Oddly, I'm the other way around -- I delayed buying a dedicated eBook
reader hoping that my iPad would do the trick.
It works great most of the time, but not when I'm laying down, I just find it too heavy to balance when I'm either on my side or my back.

With the price drop to $139 in the Kindle world I've got one on order to see how big a difference it makes, worst case the Kindle will find a home with a family member who isn't willing to spend $500+

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

#6
August 11, 2010 at 13:11:24
nospam
In article <b7o566hug80uk52oe3t2t90edakta05...@4ax.com>, DevilsPGD

<Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-C...@crazyhat.net> wrote:
> >why? they can't make enough ipads to sell, so there's no need for alternate sizes any time soon.

> The biggest delay is reportedly sourcing the panels. If they can find 
> an alternate source, or find that smaller panels can be produced 
> substantially cheaper, it makes sense to push these out sooner rather 
> than later.

true, that's a possibility, but i still don't see why they'd bother.

> >plus, making a 6-7" ipad would mean all software would need to be revised, again. having everything smaller isn't going to work well.

> It depends if they intend on changing the resolution or not.  It's 
> possible the goal is to increase the DPI while matching the resolution 
> with the larger iPad.

if they change the resolution, developers will need to update the apps yet again, with a whole new classification of apps: iphone, ipad and <new device>.

if they keep the resolution, then the buttons and other ui elements 
become smaller and harder to touch. some apps already have things too 
close together as it is.

> >the streak is obsolete before it's even sold. it ships with a year-old version of android (1.6). what the hell are they thinking?
Someone was drunk?

could be.

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

Ask Question