Pages for iPad

Apple Ipad 16gb tablet
August 19, 2010 at 10:09:24
Specs: Macintosh
erilar

Jul 31, 11:51 am

Is anyone using this? I'm trying out Pages on my laptop, and I am NOT impressed, but SabreTooth has slowed AppleWorks down so severely that I don't seem to have much choice, and I would like to be able to get a few editable documents on to the iPad.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


See More: Pages for iPad

Report •

#1
August 19, 2010 at 10:14:35

Davoud

Jul 31, 2:23 pm
erilar wrote:
> Is anyone using this? I'm trying out Pages on my laptop, and I am NOT impressed, but SabreTooth has slowed AppleWorks down so severely that I don't seem to have much choice, and I would like to be able to get a few editable documents on to the iPad.

Pages works just fine on the iPad--for me. I have no way of knowing if it would meet your requirements or not. I find my iPad to be amazingly useful for lots of little (and even some not-so-little) tasks, but it is not the best choice for writing your thesis or the Great American Novel.

Davoud

--
I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that
you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm



Erilar
Jul 31, 3:38 pm

Oh, typing with one finger because I'm usually lying back in a recliner or such when I use it and need the other hand to hold it would preclude anything like that 8-). I was thinking more in terms of taking along documents created on my laptop that I might want to alter or add to and then move back to the "big brother" later, such as bibliographies and stuff related to wherever I'm going, as well as taking notes, etc.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist


Davoud
Jul 31, 11:35 pm

Erilar:
> Oh, typing with one finger because I'm usually lying back in a recliner or such when I use it and need the other hand to hold it would preclude anything like that 8-). I was thinking more in terms of taking along documents created on my laptop that I might want to alter or add to and then move back to the "big brother" later, such as bibliographies and stuff related to wherever I'm going, as well as taking notes, etc.

I would find Pages on the iPad to be more than satisfactory for that purpose--but I still can't say if you will. But it _is_ cheap. Or maybe your friendly local Apple Store has an iPad with Pages on it.

Davoud
--
I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

#2
August 19, 2010 at 10:18:13
Erilar
Aug 1, 9:19 am

Oh, I already have the iPad and am greatly enjoying it 8-). It's the WP addition I want to know more about.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist



breadwiths...@fractious.net
Aug 1, 11:56 am

Erilar <dra...@chibardun.netinvalid> writes:
> Davoud <s...@sky.net> wrote:

>> I would find Pages on the iPad to be more than satisfactory for that purpose--but I still can't say if you will. But it _is_ cheap. Or maybe your friendly local Apple Store has an iPad with Pages on it.

> Oh, I already have the iPad and am greatly enjoying it 8-). It's the WP addition I want to know more about.

I believe he's suggesting that if you don't want to gamble $10 by buying Pages directly, if you go to an Apple store, you may find that Pages is already on the iPads there and you may play with it to see if you'd like it. Not the iPad. Pages.

That's precisely what I did one day. I spent 10 min. or so at the Apple store trying to construct and edit a document in Pages on the iPad. It was clear to me that it was adequate for minor edits, great for reading, but terrible as a primary composing station for documents.

--
Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.


Fred Moore
Aug 1, 2:19 pm

In article
<drache-C56836.10512731072...@reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.exa
mple.com>,

erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
> Is anyone using this? I'm trying out Pages on my laptop, and I am NOT impressed, but SabreTooth has slowed AppleWorks down so severely that I don't seem to have much choice, and I would like to be able to get a few editable documents on to the iPad.

Be warned that there are reportedly some severe corruption issues transferring Pages docs to/from the iPad if you need to do that. I don't have direct experience, but there are several reports in the Macintouch iPad forums (at least I think that's where I read it).

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

#3
August 19, 2010 at 10:23:58
erilar

Aug 1, 2:24 pm
In article <fmoore-F8141E.14190801082...@mx01.eternal-september.org>,
Fred Moore <fmo...@gcfn.org> wrote:

> In article
> <drache-C56836.10512731072...@reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.exa
> mple.com>,
> erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> > Is anyone using this? I'm trying out Pages on my laptop, and I am NOT impressed, but SabreTooth has slowed AppleWorks down so severely that I don't seem to have much choice, and I would like to be able to get a few editable documents on to the iPad.

> Be warned that there are reportedly some severe corruption issues transferring Pages docs to/from the iPad if you need to do that. I don't have direct experience, but there are several reports in the Macintouch iPad forums (at least I think that's where I read it).

Now THAT is scary! Do you recall what KIND of corruption?
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist


erilar
Aug 1, 2:30 pm

In article <yobwrsa72d4....@panix3.panix.com>,
BreadWithS...@fractious.net wrote:
> Erilar <dra...@chibardun.netinvalid> writes:
> > Davoud <s...@sky.net> wrote:

> >> I would find Pages on the iPad to be more than satisfactory for that purpose--but I still can't say if you will. But it _is_ cheap. Or maybe your friendly local Apple Store has an iPad with Pages on it.

> > Oh, I already have the iPad and am greatly enjoying it 8-). It's the WP addition I want to know more about.

> I believe he's suggesting that if you don't want to gamble $10 by buying Pages directly, if you go to an Apple store, you may find that Pages is already on the iPads there and you may play with it to see if you'd like it. Not the iPad. Pages.

It seems I'm going to have to buy iWork anyway, so the extra $10 isn't huge. I'm currently trying out and disliking Pages, but it seems to be inescapable if I want to be able to access older AW documents.

> That's precisely what I did one day. I spent 10 min. or so at the Apple store trying to construct and edit a document in Pages on the iPad. It was clear to me that it was adequate for minor edits, great for reading, but terrible as a primary composing station for documents.

Thank you. That's exactly what I have in mind--adding/changing something on an existing document, not creating anything major. When I travel to Europe, for instance, I take along a lot of info I've gathered in advance. I plan to do it via iPad next time, since I'll be carrying my books that way, too 8-) It would be nice to be able to add/edit en route.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
August 19, 2010 at 10:27:12
erilar

Aug 1, 2:31 pm
In article
<michelle-EA8A01.09364301082...@reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.e
xample.com>,
Michelle Steiner <miche...@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <yobwrsa72d4....@panix3.panix.com>, BreadWithS...@fractious.net
> wrote:

> > That's precisely what I did one day. I spent 10 min. or so at the Apple store trying to construct and edit a document in Pages on the iPad. It was clear to me that it was adequate for minor edits, great for reading, but terrible as a primary composing station for documents.

> What about with a physical keyboard?

I did try using one of those at the store, and it was lovely, but MY Bluetooth keyboard is, it seems, a generation too old to sync 8-(

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist


David Empson
Aug 1, 5:21 pm

I don't know about "corruption", more a case that features which are not supported on the iPad version are deleted from the document when it is edited on the iPad.

A specific example a friend has experienced: Keynote on the iPad doesn't support presenter notes, and if you edit a Keynote document there it will delete any presenter notes that were created on the Mac.

--
David Empson
demp...@actrix.gen.nz

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

#5
August 19, 2010 at 10:30:16
erilar
Aug 1, 5:47 pm
In article <1jmlb7y.17v6309czux0oN%demp...@actrix.gen.nz>,
demp...@actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:

> erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> > Do you recall what KIND of corruption?

> I don't know about "corruption", more a case that features which are not supported on the iPad version are deleted from the document when it is edited on the iPad.

> A specific example a friend has experienced: Keynote on the iPad doesn't support presenter notes, and if you edit a Keynote document there it will delete any presenter notes that were created on the Mac.

I can't visualize me wanting to do anything with Keynote on the iPad 8-)
Perhaps I'll be all right if I don't try anything fancy?

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist


AES
Aug 1, 7:43 pm

In article <1jmlb7y.17v6309czux0oN%demp...@actrix.gen.nz>,
demp...@actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:

> I don't know about "corruption", more a case that features which are not supported on the iPad version are deleted from the document when it is edited on the iPad.

> A specific example a friend has experienced: Keynote on the iPad doesn't support presenter notes, and if you edit a Keynote document there it will delete any presenter notes that were created on the Mac.

Without warning you, in lLARGE print, in the manuals, and any time it is
about to happen?!?!?

Assuming the above interpretation as to how it happens is correct, and
it's not very clearly warned about, does anyone else find this an
appalling design decision?

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

#6
August 19, 2010 at 10:33:41
breadwiths...@fractious.net
Aug 1, 8:52 pm
Michelle Steiner <miche...@michelle.org> writes:
> In article <yobwrsa72d4....@panix3.panix.com>, BreadWithS...@fractious.net
> wrote:

>> That's precisely what I did one day. I spent 10 min. or so at the Apple store trying to construct and edit a document in Pages on the iPad. It was clear to me that it was adequate for minor edits, great for reading, but terrible as a primary composing station for documents.

> What about with a physical keyboard?

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it's not just the keyboard that's the issue. I miss some of the controls and other visual pieces, I miss having other windows available with other documents and information, and I find the entire space way too confined to be useful for serious composition. The touchscreen interface, too, I find a bit annoying - such things as select, copy and paste are relatively awkward as compared to the now traditional methods using a mouse.

If I planned on nothing more complex than a simple letter, composing in Pages on the iPad would be fine. Anything more than that and I'd rather leave the iPad just for minor edits and/or presentation/reading, and do the real work on a regular computer. It might be possible to compose something more substantial on the iPad, but it'd clearly be awkward and painful as compared to the alternatives we've got.

--
Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

#7
August 19, 2010 at 10:36:53
David Empson
Aug 1, 10:40 pm

Manuals? I'm not aware of any manual for the iWork applications on the iPad.

> Assuming the above interpretation as to how it happens is correct, and it's not very clearly warned about, does anyone else find this an appalling design decision?

Yes.

If the document format is well designed, then unsupported metadata attached to an object should be retained as long as the object exists.

The problem is that if the unsupported metadata depends on other data which has been edited, it could result in strange problems when the document is copied back to the Mac again.

Apple is probably erring on the side of avoiding further problems by stripping out any data not supported by the iPad version of the application, when you edit the document on the iPad.

An update of the iPad applications will be required to fix this. If editing the limited subset supported on the iPad, any other data must be retained correctly, even if it cannot be viewed or edited.

Until that happens, the iPad versions should not be used for serious to-and-fro editing, unless the documents are limited to using features supported on the iPad versions.

Apple might have to revise the Mac versions (and the document format) to fix this properly.
--
David Empson
demp...@actrix.gen.nz

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

#8
August 19, 2010 at 10:46:07
Todd Allcock
Aug 2, 10:05 am
At 02 Aug 2010 14:40:28 +1200 David Empson wrote:

Or just warn-and-kludge. Welcome to my world! ;)

Microsoft has dealt with this problem in various ways, and with various levels of success, on the WinMobile/Pocket PC platform.

Originally they used separate "pocket" document formats on mobiles and PDAs, where transferring a Word .doc file or Excel .xls file resulted in a "Pocket Word" .pwd or "Pocket Excel" .pxl file on the mobile. Unsupported formatting and or formulas were stripped, and the file was reconverted to desktop format (missing the stripped material!) at next sync, losing all mobile-unsupported data, which sounds like where Apple and the iPad are now. Back in those days we learned (usually "the hard way!") to keep a "safe" copy of large, complex documents tucked away before subjecting them to the sync process.

Recently MS ditched the Pocket formats and came up with a new (and better, but still not perfect) idea- it's now impossible to save a document edited on a mobile without giving it a new filename, _if_ it was previously created or edited on a computer. If I open "Test.xls," a spreadsheet created on a computer, on my mobile and edit it, when trying to save it I get a warning about unsupported functions being lost, and then I'm forced to a "Save As..." dialog with "Test(1).xls" already suggested as a filename. If the file was created on the mobile, and never edited on the computer it will simply save on the device without any fuss or name changes, however.

The current MS sync situation almost sounds like a version of the Apple sandbox "file sending" between apps. WinMobile now prevents lost data by forcing the mobile to create a copy of the desktop document to prevent accidentally corrupting the original, which, of course, now leaves you with the problem of reconciling the multiple copies of the document piling up.

So, while I do appreciate the thought and effort by MS to protect my data, I'd prefer a simple warning and then be able to override the "safety feature" if I choose. Many Excel documents I use on my mobile I specifically created for data gathering in the "field"- inventory check-in, etc. so they contain no mobile-unsupported functions, but now I'm forced to save them with a new file name and manually fix the file name on the desktop after syncing later, since I regularly work on them on both my desktop and mobile.

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

#9
August 19, 2010 at 10:50:58
Fred Moore
Aug 3, 1:42 pm

In article
<drache-F96AAF.13302301082...@reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.exa

mple.com>, erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
> It seems I'm going to have to buy iWork anyway, so the extra $10 isn't huge.

Small correction here, Erilar: *Each* iWork module is US$10, or US$30 for the 3-module iWork package.


Erilar
Aug 3, 6:33 pm
Fred Moore <fmo...@gcfn.org> wrote:
> In article
> <drache-F96AAF.13302301082...@reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.exa
> mple.com>, erilar dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

>> It seems I'm going to have to buy iWork anyway, so the extra $10 isn't huge.

> Small correction here, Erilar: *Each* iWork module is US$10, or US$30 for the 3-module iWork package.

Oh, all I wanted was the Pages part for the iPad. I added it this
morning and have been arguing with it extensively already. I've decided I have no real alternative to Pages, so I ordered the physical version. I have been experimenting with the trial version anyway, so I needn't wait for it to begin the attempt to use it on the iPad.
I'm already cursing it 8-) i fed it a map I want to be able to write on. All I seem to be able to do so far is to make it turn somersaults! I can add text on the laptop, but can't seem to on the iPad. I have much to learn!

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

archived from comp.mobile.ipad


Report •

Ask Question